FOS freebie and new tools

Started by Zephyrus52246, December 23, 2023, 11:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

This is the most recent "freebie" from FOSscale models.  Doug knows if he makes a free kit I like, he'll be getting a $50+ order from me.   ;D  I was more interested in seeing his new 3D printed details than the kit, but it's a nice looking little building.  The usual stuff in the bag, siding, pre cut windows (yea!), laser cut sides/windows, some trim and one (!) piece of bracing stock, roofing and the 3D details.  the sign/picture sheet includes an instruction diagram, which I don't think I've ever seen in one of his free kits before.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The 3D details were washed, there's a small amount of clear substance on them I couldn't remove, we'll see if affects the painting.  They are presently drying in the airbrush booth from a spray of Rustoleum camo black.  

I needed to sand the edges of the laser cut sheets to remove the burn marks and square them up.  My old Tru Sander was wearing out after many years of use, so a year or so ago I bought this Ultimation sander.  It works really well.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Bracing was next, as as I mentioned there's only one piece of 1/8 inch bracing included.  Being a member of the "overbracing" fraternity, the bracing stash was opened for further wood for this.  I also purchased the Ultimation version of the "chopper".  It cuts squarer than my Chopper, but I can't seem to make it work as well as the video they show at their site.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The final new tool arrived this week.  It's a metal square with some magnetic jig tools.  My old metal plate was rusty and the magnets have somewhat lost their "magnetism" over the years.  I'm a bit disappointed with the plate itself, as the edges aren't 90 degrees perpendicular and the little bend at the corner means I can't get anything directly up to it (as opposed to the angle pieces riveted on the old plate).  The add on tools look like they will be useful, however.  I did use some rust remover and elbow grease on the old one as I will probably end up using it with the new tools for assembly. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Painted the trim a dark blue and the walls assembled and painted a grey blue.  I usually paint kits in the original colors.  I think this kit may work in an area where there are already a couple of white structures, so I decided to change it.  Picking the colors took longer than painting the trim and the walls.  The flat white wall has a large sign to cover it. Time for nailholes and lifting some boards, but I'm not making it too run down. 

Jeff

ReadingBob

Cool.  I'll be following along Jeff.  

I resisted the urge to buy something just to get this neat little kit.  I was curious about the 3D printed details as well.  I bought some of Doug's other 3D printed detail parts (dumpsters, workbenches, etc.) a while back and they're pretty slick.

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

I think a metal/magnet assembly jig must be the only model RR tool I haven't bought :-)  It would probably be worth spraying with a clear coat after you clean off the rust.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Neat kit Jeff, I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for following, Bob.  I might start painting up those details later to see how it goes. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Dave, I sprayed with some metal protectant/lube I have for the table saw so it doesn't corrode again.  I won't complain if I have to clean it again in 20 years.   :)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for looking in, Greg. 

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

Like Bob, I also resisted getting the kit. I'll be following along on this adventrue.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

I'll be following along also Jeff.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on December 24, 2023, 08:05:46 AMDave, I sprayed with some metal protectant/lube I have for the table saw so it doesn't corrode again.  I won't complain if I have to clean it again in 20 years.  :)

Jeff
Good choice!  I have some of that stuff for my full size table saw somewhere.  I should find that and do my table saw and some other tools.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln