Elevated tank for service area

Started by nycjeff, November 21, 2023, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

I was looking through some pictures of Cliff Power's Magnolia Route Model Railroad and one of his structures caught my eye. Actually many, many things caught my eye- if you haven't seen Cliff's work I highly recommend that you do. Below is a picture of an elevated fuel tank that he built for his engine service area.

elevated tank.jpeg

I wanted one for my layout so...

IMG_0708.JPG

I started out, as I always do with my scratchbuilds, with a scale drawing.

IMG_0707.JPG

I used 1/8 square wood for the main support pieces. I stained the wood with my AI solution to give it a weathered appearance.

IMG_0706.JPG

I used 2x8's for the cross braces. I used white wood glue. At the bottom is a complkete piece and above is s second one on the template.

IMG_0709.JPG

I either forgot to take more in progress pictures or I somehow lost them, so jumping ahead here is the completed structure.

I used an old tank car and removed the trucks and endframes. I then painted the tank with rattle can red primer. I used 4x8 wood for the deck boards that the tank is sitting on.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

IMG_0710.JPG

I cut a piece of thin styrene for a base and the painted it with a brown dirt color and while still wet, I sprinkled on some of my basic scenic dirt material. I used a piece of plastic sprue material for the vertical pipe. I painted this flat black. I built a small section of wood scaffold, which I placed near the end of the tank. I felt like the scene needed something else to give it a little more interest.

IMG_0711.JPG

A side view here shows the 2x8 wood braces that I installed to hold the vertical heavy wood support pieces straight and plumb.

IMG_0712.JPG

here is a view of the other end of the tank. I placed some wood scraps and a couple of detail castings around the base along with a few small bushes and weeds.

IMG_0713.JPG

Here is a closer look at the tank itself. I had a short wood ladder in my stash, but it wasn't long enough to reach the tank platform, so I built a little wood base for it. Again, just another something to add interest.

IMG_0714.JPG

Here's a closer look at the small wood scaffold section.

This whole project only took me a couple of hours over a two day period to complete and I am very pleased with how it came out.

Again, if you haven't seen Cliff Power's work, look into it, the man is a master.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Zephyrus52246

Cliff's work is wonderful. So is your build.

Jeff

Mark Dalrymple

Really nice work - and quick, too.

I'd definitely cut off the bar codes, though.

Cheers, Mark.

Jim Donovan

Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on November 21, 2023, 04:34:55 PMCliff's work is wonderful. So is your build.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, yes Cliff's work is indeed wonderful. thank you.

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on November 21, 2023, 04:39:57 PMReally nice work - and quick, too.

I'd definitely cut off the bar codes, though.

Cheers, Mark.

Hello Mark, this was a quick and easy build, maybe that's why I missed the bar codes.

Quote from: Jim Donovan on November 21, 2023, 10:52:00 PMVery, very nice.

Jim

Quote from: GPdemayo on November 22, 2023, 07:41:46 AMGreat work Jeff..... 8)

Hello Jim and Greg, thank you for the kind words.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona