Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - S&S RR

#1
Quote from: S&S RR on September 19, 2026, 03:32:13 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on September 19, 2026, 03:29:09 PMTom

Great to see you back in the train room!!!

Here is my 2 cents on the curling / separation issue that you had.  When you had the train room closed up the materials saw temperatures / humidity changes that it didn't normally see when you were in the room all the time.

Every one of the materials you are using expands and contracts with temperature and humidity. When you glue a material like foam to a material like plywood the material that is not expanding as much tries to keep the material that is expanding more from expanding.  This makes the material sandwich curl. To make this more complicated the glue joint is expanding or contracting differently than the plywood and the foam. 

I use the same construction but I brake the plywood into smaller pieces 18 inches by 36 inches is a big piece.  I glue the foam onto the plywood but I use smaller pieces of foam which gives me expansions joints. If you ever have one of the expansion joints show through to the topside scenery, use the Howard Zane cover it with a bush or scenery technique.

Okay that's all I got for 2 cents.  Give me a call if you want to dive into this deeper.

John
Another quick point.  I would take a razor blade that is long enough to go through the foam and cut expansion joints in the foam before adding the next layer.
#2
Quote from: S&S RR on September 19, 2026, 03:29:09 PMTom

Great to see you back in the train room!!!

Here is my 2 cents on the curling / separation issue that you had.  When you had the train room closed up the materials saw temperatures / humidity changes that it didn't normally see when you were in the room all the time.

Every one of the materials you are using expands and contracts with temperature and humidity. When you glue a material like foam to a material like plywood the material that is not expanding as much tries to keep the material that is expanding more from expanding.  This makes the material sandwich curl. To make this more complicated the glue joint is expanding or contracting differently than the plywood and the foam.  I use the same construction but I brake the plywood into smaller pieces 18 inches by 36 inches is a big piece.  I glue the foam onto the plywood but I use smaller pieces of foam which gives me expansions joints. If you ever have one of the expansion joints show through to the topside scenery, use the Howard Zane cover it with a bush or scenery technique.

Okay that's all I got for 2 cents.  Give me a call if you want to dive into this deeper.

John
Another quick point.  I would take a razor blade that is long enough to go through the foam and cut expansion joints in the foam before adding the next layer. 
#3
Tom

Great to see you back in the train room!!!

Here is my 2 cents on the curling / separation issue that you had.  When you had the train room closed up the materials saw temperatures / humidity changes that it didn't normally see when you were in the room all the time.

Every one of the materials you are using expands and contracts with temperature and humidity. When you glue a material like foam to a material like plywood the material that is not expanding as much tries to keep the material that is expanding more from expanding.  This makes the material sandwich curl. To make this more complicated the glue joint is expanding or contracting differently than the plywood and the foam.  I use the same construction but I brake the plywood into smaller pieces 18 inches by 36 inches is a big piece.  I glue the foam onto the plywood but I use smaller pieces of foam which gives me expansions joints. If you ever have one of the expansion joints show through to the topside scenery, use the Howard Zane cover it with a bush or scenery technique.

Okay that's all I got for 2 cents.  Give me a call if you want to dive into this deeper.

John
#4
Layout Tours / Re: 2026 Narrow gauge pictures
September 18, 2026, 09:55:27 PM
Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on September 13, 2026, 10:40:19 AMIt's weird.  I just came to this page and the last 10 didn't show.  I hit refresh and 9 of them appeared, then hit it again and they all show up. 

Jeff
Jeff

It took three refreshes but I got them all to show up.  Thank you so much for posting these pictures.
#5
Layout Tours / Re: 2026 Narrow gauge pictures
September 10, 2026, 09:30:16 AM
Jeff

Thank you for posting the photographs. I canceled the reservations while I was sitting in the Phenix, AZ airport for 12 hours waiting for a flight. I will be driving to Hickory and those that follow. Can you give us an update on future locations for the convention?
#6
Baggage Car - Daily Chat / Re: Labor Day 2026 (9/7/26)
September 07, 2026, 10:50:10 AM
Good morning!  Dan I remember "Green Stamps" from when I was a kid. I remember seeing my mother paste them in books. 
#7
Kit Building / Re: SW Shipyard at Foss Landing
September 07, 2026, 10:45:35 AM
Curt

Looks great, very nice work.
#8
Tom

You are in my thoughts and prayers, get well soon my friend.
#9
Good morning! Have I said it's great to see Jaime back!

Karl

The storm lost all its water in mid-Michigan - lots of lighting and noise but very little rain when it got to us.


Update:  Round two hit us hard.  On generator - we now have a lake in our yard.

Now that I look at the radar we have more fun lined up for this afternoon.
#10
Hang in there Tom,

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

John
#11
Good afternoon!  I stopped by to see who was hanging out here today, didn't expect to see Jaime. Very nice surprise. And he brought pictures - we love pictures.
#12
It sure is great to see Jaime making photographs at a train show and sharing them.  Thank you Jaime!  I wish I was there.
#13
Baggage Car - Daily Chat / Re: Friday July 31,2026
July 31, 2026, 10:18:47 PM
Congratulations on your retirement Dan! 
#14
Tom

Good luck with the surgery and have a speedy recovery.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

John
#15
Tom

I'm hoping you have a speedy recovery! You are in my thoughts and prayers,

John
Powered by EzPortal