ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 23, 2015, 11:42:24 AM
Hi Tom:

Looks great so far. Like the colors.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Instead of starting a new thread under the Diorama's heading, I'll just continue the build here. I told KC I didn't want to ship the building to him but would do a dio and bring it to the EXPO.

I cut a piece of blue foam 11.5" x 11.5" and drew out a layout plan.

I cut out the ditch area and added the sub roadbed and track. For the subroadbed I used a piece of 1/8" stripwood cut to fit. I used a section of ME code 83 track.

I glued the sub roadbed to the foam with Elmer's Carpenter Wood Glue.

Continued in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dave K.

Happy to see thread continue into scenery. 👍

ACL1504

Once the sub roadbed was dry I glue the track in place using the same Elmer's Wood Glue.

I want everyone to know this thread is strictly on the straight and level.

The structure will be in this area on the dio.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Dave K. on March 07, 2015, 07:21:29 PM
Happy to see thread continue into scenery.

Dave,

Thanks for following and yes, I am too. This is the first scenery I've done since I removed the old layuot. That scenery was being removed, not added. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Amagic41

Tom
   Glad I could help you get warmed up for all the scenery you have coming for the new layout ( lol ) Thanks Again !!
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Amagic41 on March 07, 2015, 08:31:09 PM
Tom
   Glad I could help you get warmed up for all the scenery you have coming for the new layout ( lol ) Thanks Again !!

Ken,

Yes, you got me kick started w/o having to kick me, which is a good thing I guess. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I next painted some Elmer's Yellow Glue on the foam and cut a piece of cardboard for the road. I also cut a short piece of stripwood for a sidewalk. I scribed some expansion joints and cracks and then painted it Floquil Aged Concrete. The sidewalk isn't glued in place yet.

Note I didn't add glue past the ditch as the road angles up slightly here.

You probably noticed that I added scale 8x8 stripwood for a foundation. A wooden structure wouldn't just sit on the ground.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

By adding the 8x8's the loading dock is now above the ground level. I added a short piece of 8x8 so it has something to rest on. Not to worry as dirt will be filled in, on and around the loading dock supports.

I covered the ditch sides with some Hydrocal and set the dio to the side to dry.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The cardboard road was painted with Elmer's White Glue.

I used a soft 1/4" brush to paint the white glue. If you ever use this method of road construction, be sure to apply the glue to the edges of the cardboard as well. The white glue seals the cardboard and the glue dries smooth so don't be to concerned how it looks when applied as seen below.

See, I told you not to worry. This is how it looks when the white glue dries.

Also, I can't take credit for the road construction method. On one of  my visits to Howard Zane's layout, he showed me how to do it.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You may have noticed I used Elmer's Wood Filler to fill in the gaps around the road and track. The wood filler is very easy to work with and dries very hard.

After letting the wood filler dry for a few days, I added the tracdk ballast. I used a combination of Woodland Scenics Fine Light Grey and Buff for the ballast. I had plenty of the ballast left over from the old layout. For my new Atlantic and Southern RR I'll be using Arizona Rock for the ballast.

I sprayed the ballast with "wet" water and then used an eye dropper to apply a liberal amount of diluted matte medium to the ballast.

When the ballast dries I'll weather the track and ballast. I'll paint the roadway at that time also.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hi Tom:

This should look pretty nice upon completion. I'll be following along.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 16, 2015, 10:23:32 AM
Hi Tom:

This should look pretty nice upon completion. I'll be following along.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks very much, appreciate you following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Instead of going on a step by step of what I did I believe the photos will explain enough.

The track and ballast were weathered. Scenic Express Dirt was added, Woodland Scenics grass and foliage were added. A few trees were added and the roadway marked and grease in the middle was added.

If Kenney chooses, he can add other detail such as RR crossing signs, trash and etc. The dio is now ready for the trip to Scranton.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com