KC's Workshop Cerzullo's Fruit Packing Build

Started by ACL1504, January 25, 2015, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Cuse on February 18, 2015, 08:04:04 AM
very nice little kit and excellent build and tutorial.

John

John,

Thanks very much my friend. I'm happy you are enjoying the thread.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bruce.oberleitner on February 18, 2015, 10:48:54 AM
As always, nice job Dr. Evil!

This is a cool little kit.  I am glad to see that your able to give the manufacture valuable feedback that is helping him make a better kit.  That's going to help everyone in the end.

Sorry to hear about the arm.  Did you injure yourself trying to lift those pallets full of "Diet Pepsi" in the garage again?  I've told you that they are too heavy and that you need a forklift for the job!

Hehe

It just wouldn't be right if I didn't include a "Diet Pepsi" joke.  No offense intended

;D ;D ;D

Cousin Brucie,

Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated. The arm issue was just a little bit of skin cancer removed but it kept me off the layout and at the bench so all wasn't lost. Diet Pepsi jokes are always welcome here.

Tom ;D  AKA: Dr. Evil
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: UP Fan on February 18, 2015, 11:24:57 PM
Great job, Tom.  Really like the first floor roof treatment with the tar on the edge of the roof material.  Great color combination.

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate you stopping by for a look see and comment. I've gotta give Karl S. credit for the color combo.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: martin.ojaste on February 19, 2015, 07:54:24 AM
Tom, I love how detailed and clean the build is. Nice tight joints and good lines. I think I will try the way you put on rafter ends on he next build.

Marty

Marty,

Thank you for the kind words and for stoppping in for a look. I attempt to make my threads as informative as I can. Because of this, they tend to run longer than normal threads and contain lots of photos. After, we all love pictures.

My method of adding rafters on the ends/sides make the model look more prototypical.

I'll be adding more to this thread later this afternoon.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 16, 2015, 11:54:58 AM
I next added some tar to the rear roof along the edges. For the tar I mixed a little Floquil Grimy Black to some Elmer's White glue and used a toothpick to apply the mixture.

I picked up a bottle of Gallery Glass Liquid Leading for you when I was in JoAnn Fabric the other day.  One of these days I'll drop it off and you can give that try to see how you like it for tar.  Dave K suggested it in his thread and I used it on the CCK kits I'm building for Bill and Chris.  You can give it a try to see what you think.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 19, 2015, 01:28:46 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on February 16, 2015, 11:54:58 AM
I next added some tar to the rear roof along the edges. For the tar I mixed a little Floquil Grimy Black to some Elmer's White glue and used a toothpick to apply the mixture.

I picked up a bottle of Gallery Glass Liquid Leading for you when I was in JoAnn Fabric the other day.  One of these days I'll drop it off and you can give that try to see how you like it for tar.  Dave K suggested it in his thread and I used it on the CCK kits I'm building for Bill and Chris.  You can give it a try to see what you think.   :D

Bob,

Thanks Butty, I'll pick it up this evening.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This kit includes some roofing shingles. They appear to be wood shingles. They are laser cut from a sheet of brown paper. I wanted them to look a little more wood like in color so I colored them with a Prismacolor Ink Pen. I chose French Grey 10%.

I chose to use a fresh glue stick for the shingle adhesive. Per the instructions, I started on the bottom and worked up toward to roof ridge.

I finished the rear and moved to complete the front.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I next cut a hole on the rear side for the chimney. I had previously painted the chimney and side wall air vent. The chimney cap and air vent were painted with Moder Masters Jet Exhaust while the chimney was painted with Floquil Gun Metal.

I made a mix of white glue and Grimy Black. I dipped the bottom of the chimney into the tar mix and placed it in the cut opening on the roof.

In the photo above, notice the difference in the color of the rear side roof and the front? When the chimney dried in place, I used pastel earth and wood tone chalks to color the shingles.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then applied the same pastel chalks to the front side. By the way, the next photo shows you can see the exterior rafter and shingles. You see no cardboard edge between them.

Next, I started on the loading dock roof. I glued two scale pieces of 8x8 stripwood to the underside for support in keeping the roof from warping. I cut both ends at an angle so the wood couldn't be seen from the side.

I also cut nine rafter tails and glued them in place as seen below. Remember to cut them longer than needed as they will be trimmed later.

I then glued black roofing paper, not included in the kit, to the top side. I left a little at the top and folded it as this will be up against the walls. Also, leave a little on each side as the side rafters are not yet added.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then added the side rafters, scale 2x6's, to each side and when dry trimmed the paper flush with the rafters. I then glued the loading dock roof to the wall. I used a weight to hold it in place while it dried.

The model is actually finished and I'll finish the thread on the build tomorrow afternoon.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Well, go figure, I decided to finish the thread this evening.

The kit includes a 28 inch piece of brass wire to use as supports on the roof of the loading dock.

I cut the wire in three equal lengths of 9 inches. On one end of each wire I made a small bend, about 30 degrees.

I used a small #80 drill bit in my small cordless Dremel tool.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I drilled three holes in the roof over the rafters. Looking at the roof from the left to right, the holes were made over the #2, #6 and #10 rafters. This centers the three wire supports.

I then made a test fit of the wire supports on the roof and in the holes.

Using a fresh mix of the "tar"/white glue and Grimy Black paint, I dipped the bent end of each wire into the mix and then placed the bent end in the previously drilled holes.

Once I was satisified with the supports (being straight) I used a small toothpick and added a little of the tar mix to the wire where it touches the exterior wall. I set the building to the side and let dry.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dave K.

Great job... you're in the home stretch. 👍

ACL1504

When all was dry, I painted the three wire supports with Floquil Grimy Black.

I added a pipe and a little smoke to the rear roof as well.

I added a sign to the wall next to the loading dock.

Here is how the loading dock and roof with supports look when finished. You can see I added just a little pastel chalks for weathering.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I added the air vent to the right side.

In the photo below, you can see that the guy from Arkansas can't read!

Gman, move that dang jalopy! And get the headlight fixed.

I'll post my final thoughts tomorow. Thanks for following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com