Diorama for the little CCC mill

Started by deemery, February 15, 2015, 03:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I've started a little diorama for the CCC Rastetter's Mill.  First step is to get a notion of placement.  Then I transferred the rough outline to the paper, and used that paper as a template for styrofoam.  Next I cut chunks of styrofoam, working the contours into them with a serrated edge bread knife.  I'll the mill side first, then put the wheel and its support, before cutting the filler chunk and positioning the dam.

dave

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

gnatshop

Question - Is that Zip Foam that you're usin'?    :D :D :D

deemery

Quote from: gnatshop on February 15, 2015, 04:47:34 PM
Question - Is that Zip Foam that you're usin'?    :D :D :D
No, I think that's the green florist foam that Mike Rose has been discussing:

dave

deemery

The dam's starting to take shape.

dave

oldbloodhound

deemery

Well, the plaster I used for the rockwork has started to crumble, plus some of the other plaster wasn't coming together correctly.  So I set this aside for a while.  At Timonium yesterday I got some of New England Brownstone's "Special Dirt" that's a nice New England beigy/gray granite color.  I have 2 projects to use that on, including this one.  So I need to recast the rock walls, and get back on the mill. 

I'm also working on another diorama that's designed for photos of car kits.  It has a flat factory background, two tracks, and a long sloping foreground that will fill the camera frame

dave