Wateriy sand beach effects ...

Started by martin.ojaste, March 05, 2015, 10:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin.ojaste

I'm trying to get a wet look on a sand beach without it looking too glossy i was planning to use Envirotec, some brown colouring and Matte medium to achieve the effect. Will it work?

Has anyone tried it or are they other ideas on doing it?

Marty

clevermod01

i think the most important aspect is the color. the shine is secondary. for the sand its self i use an acrylic paint "titanium buff" right on the hard shell. you cant really model sand. for the wet sand look to the water color. is it greener, bluer etc. mix a small amount of that color into the sand color and paint a smooth sharp transition or the beach. what im suggesting is handle it like a painting rather then a model. you dont want it to call attention to itself or to  be an obvious effect.
ill see if i can find pictures
Thom at Clever models llc

martin.ojaste

I should clarify...there is sand already on the diorama, i want to make look wet.

bparrish

Marty...

Consider this...........  This was a trick my dad showed me when we built a layout in the 1950's.     Glue your sand down with what ever you like.  Then brush on a line of white shellac..........  It will wet the sand back as far as you think you want it.

My later twist is to dull it back as you like with dull-cote if it goes too shinny.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

martin.ojaste

Thanks Bob, I will give that a try, but with some Matt varnish (I think I have some).

Will report on results.

Marty

bparrish

Martin....

One more thing........ 

The "wet" line of a creek or like that is not necessarily a straight line.  If the sand has a low spot it will wet farther from the water than a higher spot that does not wick up so much water.

This is an interesting question ...

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?