C. L. Innes Aerated Water Manufacturer

Started by Mark Dalrymple, October 05, 2015, 05:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks Greg and James!

I'll post progress pictures in this thread when I get to building the Jon. H. Olson Chemical Co, Greg.  It will be changed up a bit and will have some different signage.  I don't think you could get more American than 'Skeeter's fly dope!'  When I say it my head it even has an accent!  In New Zealand they are referred to as 'Mozzies' or 'sandflies' - never 'Skeeters'or 'flies', and dope is used as a synonym for idiot, or as a word to describe your marijuana stash.  In fact, whenever I buy a kit from the USA I pretty much always have to redo the signs.  Gas - petrol, dollars and cents - pounds and pence (in the era I'm modelling), and on it goes.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

Hi Mark,

I just caught up with this thread last night.  It's fun to follow along and watch as you're working on this.  The planning, structure placement, etc. is all very interesting.  Thanks for sharing!  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

cuse

Love this type of modeling project! Great concept and execution- wish we could see it on person :)

John

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks Bob and John!

Thanks Bob.  The placing of structures, designing, mocking up - is my favourite part of this hobby.

John - you are always welcome to visit - its just a long way - and driving is out of the question!

Photo 1 - shows a new block retaining wall has been built and the roading behind has been glued in place with expanding foam.

Photo 2 - shows the same view with the structure in place.

Photo 3 - shows the canal. the concrete walls were painted with a wash of Woodland Scenics concrete and then a wash of Waproo black leather dye and alcohol.

Photo 4 - shows the last road bridge.  Skewed, sloping, curving and with unparalleled abutments.  It couldn't have been more tricky!

Photos 5 & 6 - show me trying to find a bit of room for some trees!  These two photos were taken before the first four.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Looking great , the differences in height make it special.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Mark

I really like the way this is coming together. I'm watching with great interest.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

martin.ojaste

Mark, It will be interesting to see how you handle having the door come out on the green roof in photo 2. Or will there be a sidewalk?

ACL1504

Mark,

Very well done and innovative in the design. I'm enjoying watching all the different structures come together in one scene.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ak-milw

A whole lot going on in a small space, looks neat.

8)

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your great comments!  Thanks Jan, John, Martin, Tom and Andy!

Martin - I think maybe you are seeing a bit of an optical illusion?  Anyway the following pictures should both make things clearer and answer your question.  If they don't I have misunderstood you!  The first step is shown in the third photo - the top plastic step from the kit (I cut all the others off), and the door to the right I will make a small plaster step for.

I have just removed my A & T Burt structure from the plaster roading. This involved first sanding to smooth, adding touch-ups, and then carefully cutting both horizontally and vertically along the seam between the road and the structure. I was then able to gently prize away the structure, remove the tape, sand the roading right to the edge, and then place back in position.

Photo 1 shows the tricky shape.
Photo 2 shows the building back in place.  As you can see, very few touch-ups are now required, especially when considering weeds and details.
Photo 3 shows the steps that I think you were talking about, Martin.
Photo 4 shows the roading up against the angle of the structure.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark,

Fantastic job on cutting the plaster. Looks professional and extremely well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

martin.ojaste

Mark, ok, I see now - a great optical illustion.

donatode

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks very much for your kind comments, Tom, Martin and Donato.

I sorted the walls for the Jon H. Olson Chemical company and and weathered them with my three part weathering technique - floquil grime, followed by dirty mineral spirits and then Waproo black leather dye and alcohol.  I do two or three walls at a time, dabbing and lightly smearing the grime and dirty mineral spirits horizontally onto the siding to get a nice smeared, patchy grey, and then darken with the leather dye mix.  It was very still yesterday, so I was able to do this outside.  For those thinking of buying this kit I have so far found the instructions exemplary.  There is a plan view and eight full page to scale elevations, followed by elevations showing bracing and lots of exploded views of construction.  Actually, before buying the kit, I read a review in either MRR or MRC and it was one of the best reviews I have ever read.  I think the reviewer only found one or two very minor mistakes in the instructions, and had a blast putting the kit together.

I've also been mulling different names and types of industry around for the large brick building behind.  It is made from a Heljan Brewery, and has high, two storied windows.  I also wanted some nice 3-D lettering around the cornace.  I was struggling to get anything I was happy with when it dawned on me that I could just extend the Jon H. Olson chemical factory to join with the brick structure by way of another walk over.  I'm sure the mixing of certain chemicals would require height like brewing?  After careful measuring and shuffling of 3-D letters I came up with 'J. H. OLSON - CHEMICAL - IMPORTER - & - SUPPLIER'.  This should work well with the stencil painted on the roof of the main wooden structure below, and also splits nicely around the brick building - bearing in mind that a person passing in front of the building would not be able to see the whole sign at the same time.  Thus it reads from the left 'J. H. OLSON CHEMICAL' and from the right 'IMPORTER - & - SUPPLIER'.  The letters I used are made by Slaters.  I glued them onto two strips of square styrene which I lined up on low tack painters tape.

Photo 1 shows the sign - the different words will be cut apart before gluing onto the cornice - I put them close together to save on strip styrene.  They will be painted Floquil light green.
Photo 2 shows the walls laid out before weathering

More soon, cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Oh boy, can't wait to see your build of this Mark.....I've had this kit since the 90's and am anxious to get my build of it started.

My late brother-in-law got a degree in chemistry from Queens College in NY and I plan on renaming mine the Frank T. Fritz Chemical Company, since he was my favorite in-law.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL