Contest Room

Started by robertseckler, January 17, 2014, 01:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertseckler

Hello All

We at the EXPO are considering some minor changes.

So I would like to get some feedback about possible changes so here we go

Eliminating 2 categories

Modular  ( NO ONE Enter in Pittsfield)
Photo   ( very small entry pool   2012 approx. (6)  2013  ( 4)

Here is the big change and please give me ALL FEEDBACK POSITIVE & NEGATIVE

BIG DIO LIMIT ON SIZE

As of now we are thinking of 2'x3' or 3'x 3'

Personally I think 2'x 3' is perfect

Easy to transport, average model can achieve in a reasonable time frame, can be incorporated into a home layout.

So please be honest so we can make a informed decision

Thanks

ranny9

Quote from: robertseckler on January 17, 2014, 01:31:40 PM
Hello All

We at the EXPO are considering some minor changes.

So I would like to get some feedback about possible changes so here we go

Eliminating 2 categories

Photo   ( very small entry pool   2012 approx. (6)  2013  ( 4)

I may be prejudiced, but I would like the photo contest tried one more time. I have a "killer" photo I took on our trip on the Cumbres & Toltec in 2009 that I am just dying to show.

I would have entered more than the one in Lancaster in 2012 if the rules had been more concrete. I asked ahead of time, but never got a response as to maximum print size, "prototype" or "model". I was under the impression that they were to be of models, but the overall winner was of a prototype.

11"x14" matted overall, not framed, color: model
11"x14" matted overall, not framed, color: prototype

coors2u

For the large dio, why put a restriction on size. If the modeler has a certain size picked out I'm sure he has made transportation plans. If its space concern, would it be better if the entrants said how large there dio would be? That being said. I will conform to what ever rules are set in place.
Dustin

NEMMRRC

Perhaps the votes can be divided into the square footage of the large dioramas. You know, if a 100 sq. ft. (scale) diorama gets 100 votes then it gets 1 vote/sq. ft. If a 200 sq. ft (scale) diorama gets 100 votes then it gets 0.5 votes/sq. ft. and so on. That way diorama size shouldn't be too much of a concern 'cause it evens out the field.

Jaime

ranny9

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 17, 2014, 09:01:22 PM
Perhaps the votes can be divided into the square footage of the large dioramas. You know, if a 100 sq. ft. (scale) diorama gets 100 votes then it gets 1 vote/sq. ft. If a 200 sq. ft (scale) diorama gets 100 votes then it gets 0.5 votes/sq. ft. and so on. That way diorama size shouldn't be too much of a concern 'cause it evens out the field.

Jaime

Very nice thinking. You must have a mathematical mind...

PHQRR

Why not limit the big dio to a certain square footage?  10 square feet, it's big enough to put a lot of detail in, and not so big as to take the judging committee 2 weeks to go over without missing lots of the minutia that entails well thought out diorama.  It's also a size that can still fit into an average layout, and easily transported.

Examples:  60" X 24"; 48" X 30"; 96" X 15", 45" X 32" ...

NEMMRRC

Quote from: PHQRR on January 24, 2014, 07:44:55 AM
and not so big as to take the judging committee 2 weeks to go over without missing lots of the minutia that entails well thought out diorama.
In the past the model contest has been a popular vote contest. There has been no judges except to break a tie. The winners are chosen by popular vote. Every registered show attendee gets one ballot. The model with the most votes wins.

But I'm sure it takes a while to run through all the models picking one's favorite. I don't vote at these contests because I'd rather take the time I'd use "judging" each model to just enjoy the show. I'm not advocating others do what I do. I'm just saying I don't vote at the contests.

Jaime

robertseckler

Quote from: PHQRR on January 24, 2014, 07:44:55 AM
Why not limit the big dio to a certain square footage?  10 square feet, it's big enough to put a lot of detail in, and not so big as to take the judging committee 2 weeks to go over without missing lots of the minutia that entails well thought out diorama.  It's also a size that can still fit into an average layout, and easily transported.

Examples:  60" X 24"; 48" X 30"; 96" X 15", 45" X 32" ...

Thanks for all the feedback

AL
The problem w/ dio of the size you suggest is space limitations.

Also if someone did one say 48x 30 it would need its own table to display and that alone makes the model stand out and give is it a unfair advantage.

This is why I asked for input!!

Again Thanks

ollevon

I agree with Rob,  a limit of 36"x36" is plenty big for a diorama.  Anything much bigger,  Well,  You may as well have a layout contest.  I feel in this case,  it's not the size that matters here. We shouldn't  be looking for how big it is, only how good it is.  Don't you think?

Sam

robertseckler

All

OK It is Official

Big Diorama Size will be

36"x 36" 

We are calling it Yard by Yard

So this means NO Side can be Larger than 36"

Any  questions??

coors2u

Thanks Robert. Works for me.
Dustin

Mike Engler

The "SQUARE YARD CONTEST" ?
THE Runner- Mike Engler in Lakeville, MN
mike.engler59@gmail.com

robertseckler

gnatshop

Are we building models here, or sellin' carpet?  ??? ??? ???

CN6401

If your going to change things,  and I agree. One of the areas you should consider is sticking to the rule. In the 2x2 dio how does a  crane win that clearly extended outside the 2x2 boundary?