Milw. Rd. diesel tank car

Started by ak-milw, January 09, 2016, 01:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-milw

I will be attempting to kit bash a Milw. Rd. diesel tank car using a Tichy tank car kit. The car was used to fuel locomotives where there was no set tank. Here is a picture from Morning Sun freight car book Vol. 1, page 90.

8)

Zephyrus52246

Cool looking tank car.  Looks like they pushed it a little too far.   :)  Should be an interesting kit bash.

Jeff

ACL1504

Great looking car. It also looks like the back/left truck in off the back of the rail.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ak-milw

The front left wheel is broken right off. I will model it with all the wheels.

ak-milw

I started this build using a Tichy short dome tank car kit. I built the frame per instructions.

The rest of the car will need some modifications.

8)

ak-milw

Now on to the tank body. I started with the dome, Tichy has the vent pipes molded on the top of the dome, so with a file and some sand paper they were removed. I then made the side vent tubes using two small pieces of an old sprue. I also added the hatch cover and one grab iron on the back. The tank has only one ladder to the top so it doesn't need a grab on each side.

sorry for the blurry picture, my camera doesn't like close ups.

ak-milw

I built the tank per instructions and added the end grabs and the modified dome.

now to mount the tank to the frame.

8)

ak-milw

The tank is mounted to the frame and the hold down straps are on.

To me these Tichy kits are very under rated . They make excellent, very detailed models.

8)

ACL1504

Dave,

I agree, these make wonderful tankers and like you said very detailed. Here is one of many I did some 35+ years ago and they are still on the layout.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ak-milw

Nice Tom.

Making slow progress on this project. This one is sort of a fill in. I did get the placards and over flow pipe on and started on the handrails.

8)

ak-milw

ak-milw

ak-milw

Nothing left to do but paint and decals.

8)

ak-milw

Painted and some decals. I have to order more to finish.

8)

ACL1504

Andy,

Great job on the diesel tank car. How about some information on the parts you used? A photo of the top and ends? What did you use for the side angle bars, Evergreen styrene?

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com