Lime Company Mine

Started by Erieman, January 11, 2016, 10:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

LIME COMPANY MINE - Now that the East End Market is almost complete, I have started another structure. Several years ago I purchased "The Lime Company" from Sheepscot Scale Products. It has been dormant in one for or another for  several years. I started it many years ago, painting all the strip lumber with three coats of stain and pigment. They then resided below the layout for many more years. I did take time to build a white model of the structure that resides on the layout. I'll post a picture on tomorrow. In the meantime, I decided to start this project based on some of the knowledge gained from East End Market. Like the market, I started with a inner core. This made a very strong and straight structure. A difference with this project will be gluing the individual boards to the inner core instead of constructing large panels and adhering them to the inner structure.
   So stay tuned for my next project - Lime Company Mine.

Frank / Erieman

coors2u

Oh goodie. I can't wait to see this one. Pictures as soon as possible.
Dustin

Janbouli

Go Frank  go , I really like the hustle and bustle on the forum as of late , everybody's building and posting , just great.
I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Looking forward to seeing the build Frank.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: coors2u on January 12, 2016, 06:35:05 AM
Oh goodie. I can't wait to see this one. Pictures as soon as possible.

Good Morning Dustin,

I did not have the time last night to take or post any pics, but I will today. That's part of the history of the build. My Bad.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: Janbouli on January 12, 2016, 08:50:33 AM
Go Frank  go , I really like the hustle and bustle on the forum as of late , everybody's building and posting , just great.

Good Morning Jan,

I notice the same thing. Goos to see all the activity on the forum. Must be the weather. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be posting more picture today of the white model, where the building will go on the layout, etc..

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 12, 2016, 09:14:51 AM

Good Morning Greg,

With the cold weather, this is the best thing to be doing. I have had the white model on the layout for years and finally got off my butt and decided to build it. There are several components to the build and will take a while to do. Oh well, who cares, I'm retired. Whoopee.

Frank / Erieman

donatode

Frank, do you ever take a break????  Just kidding.  If you did, I would have nothing to follow....

GPdemayo

Quote from: Erieman on January 12, 2016, 10:55:53 AM

Good Morning Greg,

With the cold weather, this is the best thing to be doing. I have had the white model on the layout for years and finally got off my butt and decided to build it. There are several components to the build and will take a while to do. Oh well, who cares, I'm retired. Whoopee.

Frank / Erieman

Hi Frank,

I sure wish you & Tom would quit rubbing it in about the retired thing.....I can't seem to get anything done while working and the kit boxes are stacking up. Woo is me.....

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: Donato on January 12, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
Frank, do you ever take a break? ???  Just kidding.  If you did, I would have nothing to follow....

Donato,
You ask a very good question. Now that I am retired, I have been spending a lot of time on my layout. Just ask my wife!!! I probably get 8 to 10 hours a day in the train room. According to my wife, more than that!!! I have been slacking off a bit on house projects from time to time and that is not good. Most are now done thankfully. The train room has been progressing nicely. I guess I should post some overall pictures sometime. It's not that this is the only interest that I have. I am also involved with the NMRA on a division and national level, I am also the editor of our NMRA division newsletter which I put out three times a year. Issues typically run about 90 + pages and most recently, the publicity and marketing chairperson for our NMRA regional convention here in Scottsdale last September. I guess I do spend a lot of time on trains. Oh Yes, one other thing, I am getting back to painting with watercolors. I would like to do  - wait for it -
Train paintings. I guess my life doe revolve around trains, what do you think?

Frank / Erieman 

Erieman

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 12, 2016, 12:15:03 PM
Quote from: Erieman on January 12, 2016, 10:55:53 AM

Good Morning Greg,

Frank / Erieman

Hi Frank,

I sure wish you & Tom would quit rubbing it in about the retired thing.....I can't seem to get anything done while working and the kit boxes are stacking up. Woo is me.....

Greg,

I had a similar problem with a lot of those and other boxes under the layout. What i find is that after time, many of those wonderful boxes get sold. Either they will not fit (visually or functionally) in the layout or you just run out of time. I would recommend that you pick one kit and work in a dedicated area on it. But, wait, aren't you suffering from the same disease  as the senior member of the SBG. " changing your layout"? Good luck with all those boxes.  Hmnnn, is there anything there that I could use ???

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Here are some pictures of the Lime Company structure kit once offered by Sheepscot Models. George Barrett was the designer and have several wonderful kits. I have built one to date - Phillips Station. I saw this kit at a NMRA meet many years ago in California. One of the pictures is that model with what appears to a best in show award. The other pictures include the white model of the main building, the series of white model buildings in the location on my layout and some pics of the internal structure technique that I am using on the model. The main building is one of several building in the kit and I will also be adding a couple of other structures to the scene. So-o-o, stay tuned.

Frank / Erieman

donatode

Quote from: Erieman on January 12, 2016, 12:16:49 PM
Quote from: Donato on January 12, 2016, 11:28:15 AM
Frank, do you ever take a break? ???  Just kidding.  If you did, I would have nothing to follow....

Donato,
You ask a very good question. Now that I am retired, I have been spending a lot of time on my layout. Just ask my wife!!! I probably get 8 to 10 hours a day in the train room. According to my wife, more than that!!! I have been slacking off a bit on house projects from time to time and that is not good. Most are now done thankfully. The train room has been progressing nicely. I guess I should post some overall pictures sometime. It's not that this is the only interest that I have. I am also involved with the NMRA on a division and national level, I am also the editor of our NMRA division newsletter which I put out three times a year. Issues typically run about 90 + pages and most recently, the publicity and marketing chairperson for our NMRA regional convention here in Scottsdale last September. I guess I do spend a lot of time on trains. Oh Yes, one other thing, I am getting back to painting with watercolors. I would like to do  - wait for it -
Train paintings. I guess my life doe revolve around trains, what do you think?

Frank / Erieman

Guess you have a (ready for it?) a one track mind!!

ak-milw

WOW, we are off to the races, Frank do you even stop to breathe?   ;D

8)

Erieman

Quote from: ak-milw on January 12, 2016, 08:02:49 PM
WOW, we are off to the races, Frank do you even stop to breathe?   ;D

8)

Good Evening Andy,

As I mentioned to Donato, I have been quite busy on lots of challenges. Regarding the layout, I have a goal to have a little over half the layout fully completed by September. So-o-o, I am on a rather quicker pace to accomplish everything by then. The Lime company, which consists of about nine structures, is the main item to complete. The balance will be scenery. Hopefully nothing else will step in to slow me down, but I'm on a mission. Stay tuned for more progress photos. The main internal body is cone and assembled. I have been applying the exterior pieces of wood, one piece at a time. All i can tell you is that there are a lot of pieces. In many places, each vertical is composed of two pieces. Whoa is me. This is going to take some time to install all the siding.

Thank for stopping by and stay tune for more progress of the main building.

Frank / Erieman