Western Pacific's "Feather River Canyon" in N scale

Started by R Edington, October 06, 2016, 03:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Edington

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on October 06, 2016, 02:35:17 PM
Wow.  That's a lot of track.  How long does it take a train to traverse the helix?

Jeff

Jeff,

I've really never timed a train doing the whole helix. I'm guessing maybe 7 to 10 minutes.

Bob, Jim and Tom

Thanks

Rodney

postalkarl

Hi Jeff:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! That's quite the layout especially in N-scale. Can't Wait to see some scenery.

Karl

R Edington

Here is some more of the yard. Please note that the layout lighting has been changed to all LED's now. In the beginning, I tried a lot of different things for the lighting. Before the LED's, I like the C9, 40 watt incandescent with the spotlights used for outdoor lighting.

And how it looks now

Rodney

R Edington

Leaving Oroville

Looking back toward the yard

Rodney

Powersteamguy1790

Nice work with the LEDs Rodney. :)

Stay cool and run steam..... 8) 8)

Janbouli

Such an impressive layout Rodney, thanks for sharing here as well as on N-scale.net
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

I love this thread, it just gets better and better. That's more better for those in the Sunshine State.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Rodney

I think WOW has been used but I will say it again - WOW.  That's a lot of track work.  I will be watching your progress.  Thanks for sharing your layout with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tct855

R~,
       Man! your layout is stupid-sick! What a awesome mammoth undertaking.  You are the man!  Very nice indeed!  God bless you for modeling in n-scale.  If I was 16 and starting out in this hobby I'd do the little man's modeling for sure.  I'll have to show you one of my upcoming n-scale projects I'm working on once complete.  An 2-8-4 Berkshire Dcc sound with lights and lots of detail.  keep up the great work, and don't forget the pictures, I hear several modelers here just love lots of pictures. ha.  Thanx Thom...

Twopoint2

R Edington

Thanks so much for the comments. I really appreciate them a lot.

Quote from: tct855 on October 07, 2016, 06:48:41 PM
R~,
       Man! your layout is stupid-sick! What a awesome mammoth undertaking.  You are the man!  Very nice indeed!  God bless you for modeling in n-scale.  If I was 16 and starting out in this hobby I'd do the little man's modeling for sure.  I'll have to show you one of my upcoming n-scale projects I'm working on once complete.  An 2-8-4 Berkshire Dcc sound with lights and lots of detail.  keep up the great work, and don't forget the pictures, I hear several modelers here just love lots of pictures. ha.  Thanx Thom...

I'll be looking forward to seeing the Berk.
Rodney

R Edington

The tracks on the left are the staging tracks for the High line.  The mainline and turnout will be in a tunnel and the yard will also be hidden.

It'll hold 3, 35 car trains

Rodney

R Edington

We are getting close to "Keddie Wye"
  Within the first year and half of start of building the rr, I had all the mainline track laid up to here and when we ran trains, we used the high line side for the reverse loop. With the loop at the bottom of the helix, we could run loop to loop.

The bridges are ME with the parts of a HO bridge bashed into the one on the right.

The track to the left goes up to Bieber (Ca) and is called the "high line". I'll go into a tunnel to the hidden staging yard for the high line.

The tie strips were printed on one of my 3D printers. On the long ties, I've glued PC Board ties and then soldered the code 40 (guard rail) and code 55 rails to that.  Then added the walkways. I still need to do the high line side yet.

Rodney

R Edington

Rodney

R Edington

These are the tie strips I printed for the bridges with the pc boards glued on.

Glued onto the bridge and ready for rail.

This is one of the 5, 3D printer that I have. This one is capable of printing a 12 inch cube. Since 2012, I've built over 25 3D printers from scratch. The first 19 were 8 inch cube and the last 7 have been the 12 inch ones. I machined all the plate parts on my Bridgeport mill, and the lead screws on one of my lathes. The rail is what is called "makerslide" and the "V" wheels are made of Delrin.

I'm printing one of the bases for one of the roundhouses that was going to be used on the layout.

Here is the first roundhouse with the framework that I printed. I have since changed the design and still need to print all the parts for the new ones.

Rodney