Dardanelle Mining RR

Started by GaryMc, October 31, 2016, 11:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryMc

Started this Hon30 layout about 2 years ago for something to do until I get enough room to build an HO scale layout. Trying new idea's along the way, as they say practice makes perfect. first up is a shot of the bench work and since have added casters to help move it around. The layout is about 32" wide and 4 1/2' long with a 10" elevation change.

Next shot is of the road bed made from 1/2" plywood with 1/2" fiber board glued to the plywood.

Next was getting the track glued down, used clear silicone and pushpins to hold in place until dried.

Then the fun began with plaster cloth and woodland scenic rock castings.

Another shot showing half the layout. A lot of hand carving the rock retaining walls.

The first scratch built bridge in place with my scratch built porter and cars.

The engine house and added a tree made from wire.

Next was to start adding some color, used craft paint and some AI washes.

Decided to get the other side of the river canyon started, more woodland scenic rock castings.

And more plaster cloth work , this area is where the mine will be located.

Placing some buildings where they go.

Another town shot.

And this is where I'm at right now, all the buildings except the water tank and the general rope and wire building are scratch built.

Regards,

Gary

ak-milw

Still looking great Gary, you got to get working on it.

Janbouli

Nice little layout Gary , that would make a great exibit layout.
I love photo's, don't we all.

cuse

I love it Gary...particularly all the hand carved retaining walls. This is my favorite kind of stuff, like Furlow and Olson used to do in MR's best years!

John

ACL1504

Gary,

What a wonderful layout. I love all the rocks and retaining walls. The structures really fit the scene and time frame.

Looks like a lot of fun to operate. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hi Gary:

WOW!!!!! how very cool. I never would have thought you could have gotten so much into such a small area. I love it.

Karl

jimmillho

Quote from: postalkarl on November 01, 2016, 07:41:27 AM
Hi Gary:

WOW!!!!! how very cool. I never would have thought you could have gotten so much into such a small area. I love it.

Karl

I will second what Karl said.

Jim

Powersteamguy1790

Beautiful work as usual Gary. Glad to see this layout again. :)

Stay cool and run steam....... 8) 8)

Zephyrus52246

Great looking rock and stone work. 

Jeff