Midsomer

Started by madharry, January 22, 2017, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

And I am back............

I have mounted the Magnorail road system on a plank of wood and covered the channel and plastic chain mechanism with thin plastic painted grey to represent a road. The cyclist moves along the road following magnets in the moving chain below the road surface. My problem was if the road surface became detached the chain was likely to jump out of the channel. I have solved this by using a thin skim of Sculptamold to seal around the road surface (white in the pictures).

Now I need to position the castle keep and some castle walls I have made from DAS clay to create an embankment to hide the plank.

Mike

madharry

Continuing............

I needed a custom made tunnel portal to hide the tracks as they disappear from board 2 to the fiddle yard on board 3. So I measured and cut some foam board and covered it with DAS clay before scribing in the stonework. I decided to add some derelict castle walls using the same method. One down and another being worked on................

Mike

PRR Modeler

Nice job on the portal and wall.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Thanks Curt.

To make the walls. First I cut out a suitable wall from foam board........

I then roll out the clay on a flat surface (my wife's marble worktop will do nicely), I use a brass tube to roll it flat.

I then apply some Elmers white glue to the wall using a little on a paint brush.

I then detach the clay from the work surface and apply it to the wall. I roll it flat with the brass tube.

Once the wall is covered I use some cheap scissors t cut the excess of the wall.

Mike

madharry

Continuing.....

I have roughly painted in a meandering road and have started placing the town buildings. Rather than have all the buildings in a line, I am placing two with their backs to the viewer and others on a curve of the road to offer different viewing angles.

Mike

PRR Modeler

Like real village building placement. Great idea.
Curt Webb

madharry

Thanks Curt much appreciated.

I am planning the Cemetery. I am using a herringbone brick path from the lych gate to the building. I have painted the gravestones and checked that they all face west.

Mrs C is going to make me a yew tree. Next up to plant the wall and grass the area.

Mike

Rail and Tie

coming along nicely!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

madharry

Thanks Darryl nice to hear from you again. I keep giving out details on the sternwheeler kit at exhibitions and I hope it translates into some sales.

Mike  :)

madharry

Here is the little cemetery nearly complete. Mrs C is taking her time making the yew tree from scratch. The walls were made of foamboard painted with PVA and covered with a mixture of grey and brown ballast. The stone capping is just card.

Mike

madharry

A few more.............

Zephyrus52246

I really like the stone wall.  Everything is looking great.

Jeff

GPdemayo

Absolutely wonderful Mike..... 8)

Keep your fingers crossed, the plans are due in about a week or two.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

madharry

Thanks very much Jeff, Greg and Curt - much appreciated!

I still have three Petite Properties kits to make..........

Here is a little shop that I have named after my paternal Grandmother who worked in a butchers when my Grandfather first met her. He was delivering supplies by horse and cart back about 1910.

Mike