Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I was working on the Mackenzie's build today and I just had to take a progress picture of the water in the pond. This is an old slimy mill pond that doesn't see much fresh water. I really like how it's turning out. This is after three coats of water. After the second coat I coated the surface with slime green chalk. When I added the third coat of water I swirled it around and it swirled the chalk into formation that "to me" look just like the slim in a stagnate pond. I will be adding more coats to get the water to the level I'm looking for. Please excuse the dust I was weathering the old railroad ties above this area and the dust was going everywhere.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The picture of the pond looks a lot darker once I got it posted on the forum. A better picture will be coming when this build is finished.
John Siekirk

Janbouli

The water looks real to me , job well done in the making.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Zephyrus52246

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on April 27, 2018, 05:15:47 AM
The water looks real to me , job well done in the making.

Jan

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words.  It looks a lot better in person than in the picture I took with my iPhone. Maybe it's because my eyes are used to looking through all the dust on my glasses.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Really nice modeling John. You nailed the slimey water. Now you need to model the smell!
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jimmillho

That is the worst looking pond I have ever seen......you could not pay me enough to jump in to that slimy, stinking, gross water. :o :o :o :o

Good job John.

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on April 27, 2018, 11:25:48 AM
Really nice modeling John. You nailed the slimey water. Now you need to model the smell!

Curt

Thanks - I think I will pass on modeling the smell but I would like to find a sound system that has the little frogs that we have here in Michigan. My Grandmother used to call them peepers. One of the first signs of spring.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on April 27, 2018, 01:46:35 PM
That is the worst looking pond I have ever seen......you could not pay me enough to jump in to that slimy, stinking, gross water. :o :o :o :o

Good job John.

Jim

Jim

Thank you for the kind words, I think. ;)   Yeah, I think your right, the days of swimming in the old mill pond are gone.
John Siekirk

cuse

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Lynnb

Quote from: S&S RR on April 26, 2018, 07:59:02 AM
The next generation of Engineers is starting to take over on the Superior & Seattle. Running trains is serious business.

Cute, I have a few years before grandson will be running trains.

Nice job on the slime water, wood looks great too.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

This week I started the process of permanently mounting some of my recent builds to the layout. The first step is to get the location ready in the benchwork.  Lots of shims to get the elevation right and to get everything level. Also, making sure that there is access to the lighting if maintenance is ever required.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk