Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmillho

John, That is quite impressive.

I will be watching and learning.

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on February 03, 2019, 10:41:37 AM
Just getting caught up John.  Looks great.

Is there any special way your making the aspens?

Jerry

Jerry

If you look back in the thread I posted all the detail on my process for making the aspen trees. I'm using the super trees for the armatures and painting them the off white color with black spots. The main thing, as far as I'm concerned, is use more than one color of yellow. I use three.  I also mix in a few green leaves and the orange that is so common in the mountains of the west that I'm modeling.  The other thing that makes a big difference is don't use too much flock. You want to be able to see through the tree. This is the hardest thing to learn because all of the trees you see in the catalogs have way to much flock.  Sorry, but they are selling flock. That's about it - nothing to special but it what I'm doing.

I took hundreds of photographs of the aspens in the mountain I'm modeling and just tried to match what I see in the photographs.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on February 03, 2019, 11:36:29 AM
John, That is quite impressive.

I will be watching and learning.

Jim

Jim

Thanks for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I completed the base for the Sewall/ Schwarz Foundry and Fox Run Milling builds, today.  Here is a few pictures that describe the process I used to build the base for the builds.  Before I added the bottom of the pit area I took the base to the layout and cut the hole for the pit in the layout benchwork.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

After marking the outline it was time to get out the saw.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The finished base on the workbench ready for the assembly process.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On another front, I added some signs to the S&S RR Locomotive works.  I continued the tradition from the Stone Roundhouse of adding name plates over the stalls. Wayne Olson works on the layout with me. And Frank Baker aka ERIEMAN, here on the forum, helped with the design of the Locomotive Works. Yes, the name plates cover the joint between the castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

John Siekirk