Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

John, Look's like a very good build to watch ;) Can't wait.
Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

sdrees

That is going to be an ambitious project.  What did you use for the master for your molds? 
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 24, 2019, 10:35:30 AM
John, Look's like a very good build to watch ;) Can't wait.
Dennis

I'm looking forward to the build - so many projects. :o ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on June 24, 2019, 12:54:04 PM
That is going to be an ambitious project.  What did you use for the master for your molds?

Steve

It's the SRMW Brick Roundhouse original castings. I got them in a trade with a very special friend.  It sure is a big project - I have over three hundred dollars in mold making and casting supplies already.  I passed on this one because I didn't think I would ever have the room for it.   That's when the layout was at Phase I.0. I wonder how much the window castings will cost?It's the last SRMW kit I passed on - they are great for trading even if you don't have room for them on your layout.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Steve, John, It doesn't take long to add up. Even if you have the kit and want to increase the size of the kit. I hope to build my SRMW Brick roundhouse soon. John I love what you did to the floor molding's I wish I thought of that lol. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

John,

At one time I had two of the brick with additional stalls and one stone roundhouse. They were big and very heavy.

I ended up selling all three for just under $8,000. Not a bad deal for the return.

I wish now I kept one of the brick roundhouses.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 24, 2019, 02:15:27 PM
Steve, John, It doesn't take long to add up. Even if you have the kit and want to increase the size of the kit. I hope to build my SRMW Brick roundhouse soon. John I love what you did to the floor molding's I wish I thought of that lol. Dennis

Dennis

It will be a lot easier to build this way - I don't have to ship them and I'm using resin so I don't have the same design constraints that Bob had when he did the kit.  FYI - although I will be glad I went with resin when it's done - it takes a quart of resin to do 1 stall worth of castings. I just ordered 5 more quarts. Another Hundred dollars.  I should have went with hydrocal.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 24, 2019, 02:56:47 PM
John,

At one time I had two of the brick with additional stalls and one stone roundhouse. They were big and very heavy.

I ended up selling all three for just under $8,000. Not a bad deal for the return.

I wish now I kept one of the brick roundhouses.

Tom ;D

Tom

That's a hard to pass up price. I sure like the way they look and the way I'm doing this mine can be different than all the rest.  I just pulled up the pictures I took of Dick Elwell's version - lots of possibilities.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Today, I got about half of the cork road bed down for the South End of the Superior Yard. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. The track work for the North End is complete and ready for the drop wires to be installed. I want to finish all the track before moving on to the wiring.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The cork roadbed is down for the South End of the Yard.  I just have to add the cork for the crossovers. As you can see from the picture, the track is started.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Someone's been a busy guy............... Great job John.

Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 25, 2019, 01:51:39 PM
Someone's been a busy guy............... Great job John.

Dennis

Dennis

Thanks - I have put in a few hours the past couple of days.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I started working on the control panel today.  I will be using the touch controls for the turnouts so this is going to be a new thing for me.  The plan is to use them for the expansion and if I like them I will convert the rest of the layout. I'm going to post this and come back to it when my internet service is better - currently have very poor service.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I decided that a cardboard mockup was in order for the control panel, so it will be one of the tasks for today.  I want something that I can attach a few of the touch controls and get a feel for operations with them.  I don't think the traditional vertical panel is the best solution.  I will be trying different angles for both viewing and throwing the turnouts. I also want it in a location where I can see the layout I'm controlling without blocking the view of the layout. Maybe I'll have some pictures this weekend.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is an overall picture of the North Yard - South Yard is the other side of the wall in the hall way.  It is 15 feet 4 inches from the end of the sidings to the wall and 24 feet from end of Siding North Yard to end of Siding South Wall.

John Siekirk