Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Mackenzie's is going to be moving to my detailing bench, tomorrow. Lot's of details to add to this one.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Incredible modeling John. It will be a focal point on your layout.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Great great modeling John and the A&I does the trick on the ground .
I love photo's, don't we all.

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 10, 2017, 10:10:07 AM
Incredible modeling John. It will be a focal point on your layout.

Curt
Thanks for the kind words and for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on October 10, 2017, 06:33:52 PM
Great great modeling John and the A&I does the trick on the ground .

Thanks Jan - the dirt I'm using accepts coloring very well. I've used chalks, Inks, and acrylic paints to get the color I wanted in different areas. Thanks again for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on October 10, 2017, 07:54:44 PM
Nice job John,  It looks very nice on your layout.

Thanks Steve - it was really nice meeting you at the Narrow Gauge Convention. I hope we get to have that conversation about what your remember about visiting John Allen's layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I talked to George Sellios today and he was very happy to see the two kits built into one coaling complex (he reads most of the threads on the forum - he just chooses not to post).  He told me that one of the complaints he got when he offered the Jacob's Coal kit was that it was too big (???). He really got a kick out of seeing two built together.
John Siekirk

rpdylan

Great modeling! As far as the porch posts being out of square,, the trouble with HO scale is that things like this look "weird". kind of like if our telephone poles are crooked...... i found that if I broke one of my posts in the middle, it looked more believable than if it was just crooked,,,,, again, I think it's the scale that affects the way things like this look,   I love your modeling and weathering,,,, just fantastic builds all around!
Bob C.

S&S RR

Quote from: rpdylan on October 10, 2017, 09:30:42 PM
Great modeling! As far as the porch posts being out of square,, the trouble with HO scale is that things like this look "weird". kind of like if our telephone poles are crooked...... i found that if I broke one of my posts in the middle, it looked more believable than if it was just crooked,,,,, again, I think it's the scale that affects the way things like this look,   I love your modeling and weathering,,,, just fantastic builds all around!

Bob

Thanks for the kind words - I'm going to try your idea of breaking one.  I have guide wires to add yet and that corner post in the back is a perfect candidate.  Thanks for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

RWL

John,

Very few layouts display the depth that yours does, nice scenes, it is very impressive. I think you have an equal amount of wood above the layout as you do below the layout. Very impressive!

Bob

S&S RR

Quote from: RWL on October 12, 2017, 02:33:42 AM
John,

Very few layouts display the depth that yours does, nice scenes, it is very impressive. I think you have an equal amount of wood above the layout as you do below the layout. Very impressive!

Bob

Bob

Thanks for the kind words.  I have used 34 - 100 pound bags of Number 1 molding plaster on the mountains for this layout. So there is a fare amount of wood underneath holding them up.  I'm happy to hear you say the layout has depth - that is what I'm shooting for.  It's better in person than when you try to capture it with a photograph. I think it will get better as the structures are added.
John Siekirk

JusticeCity

John, 3400 pounds of plaster, that is more than it takes to plaster all my house walls. You will need na air-hammer to take it down in the future. LOL