Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

John,
You have been really busy ! Neat looking engine house. Like the way the coloring is looking too.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on December 20, 2017, 03:36:09 AM
John,
You have been really busy ! Neat looking engine house. Like the way the coloring is looking too.
Tommy

Tommy

Thanks for stopping by the thread and the kind words. I think the two structures are going to complement each other. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The last few days I have been working on different interior design scenarios for the Locomotive Works.  I'm still trying to find a overhead crane design that will for for the structure. I like the idea of having a wall separate the machine shop area from the locomotive inspection pits. I'm leaning toward a wall that will go less than half way up to the roof beams. I would also like to find a way to incorporate a small engineering office.
John Siekirk

MAP

Really looking great John.  The wall coloring is excellent.
Mark

sdrees

John,

Thanks for sharing your technique for the stone on your building.  I think it looks great.
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on December 24, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
Really looking great John.  The wall coloring is excellent.

Mark

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on December 24, 2017, 12:18:07 PM
John,

Thanks for sharing your technique for the stone on your building.  I think it looks great.

Steve

Thanks for stopping by and you are welcome.  There are a lot of ways to get the same affect.
John Siekirk

RWL

John,

The work you are doing on this engine house is impressive, the process and technique to coloring the walls is very interesting. The entire layout is impressive! Your question of sourcing an overhead crane in my mind is moot, I don't think you have enough vertical space to satisfy a crane. If there was a second story you could have the room, but then you would throw the architecture off. I think scale wise you would need another 15 to 20 feet to satisfy a crane. If you were to span both pits and the adjoining work space, you are roughly at a 35 foot width, the chord of the girder for such a span is probably 4 feet or better. The cable reel trolley would be another 2 feet above the girder and the gondola underneath it, six feet, maybe five. The gondola really doesn't play into this calculation because it was usually affixed to the end of the girders

With the girder and trolley at six feet and an engine on the pit with a 12 to 14 foot height, you are at 18 to 20. But to move anything from one side of the work space to the other, your clear space for cabling should be about ten feet. I really think you need another story, which then would disturb the essence of the engine house. Something to think about.
My two cents.

Bob

S&S RR

Quote from: RWL on December 25, 2017, 08:48:45 PM
John,

The work you are doing on this engine house is impressive, the process and technique to coloring the walls is very interesting. The entire layout is impressive! Your question of sourcing an overhead crane in my mind is moot, I don't think you have enough vertical space to satisfy a crane. If there was a second story you could have the room, but then you would throw the architecture off. I think scale wise you would need another 15 to 20 feet to satisfy a crane. If you were to span both pits and the adjoining work space, you are roughly at a 35 foot width, the chord of the girder for such a span is probably 4 feet or better. The cable reel trolley would be another 2 feet above the girder and the gondola underneath it, six feet, maybe five. The gondola really doesn't play into this calculation because it was usually affixed to the end of the girders

With the girder and trolley at six feet and an engine on the pit with a 12 to 14 foot height, you are at 18 to 20. But to move anything from one side of the work space to the other, your clear space for cabling should be about ten feet. I really think you need another story, which then would disturb the essence of the engine house. Something to think about.
My two cents.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for following along with the thread, your kind words, and your input on the overhead crane.  When I get back to the workbench I will share some of the key dimensions of the interior and my current thought on a crane installation.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: S&S RR on December 26, 2017, 08:44:14 PM
Quote from: RWL on December 25, 2017, 08:48:45 PM
John,

My two cents.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for following along with the thread, your kind words, and your input on the overhead crane.  When I get back to the workbench I will share some of the key dimensions of the interior and my current thought on a crane installation.

Bob

A follow-up to our discussion of the overhead crane for the Locomotive Works.  From the floor to the bottom of the roof support beams is 29 and one half feet. This will just barely clear your dimensional stack-up.  The building is designed as a high bay one story.  I have ordered some crane detail parts from Durango that I think will work.  I will post an update when I get the parts and can do a final stake-up to see if I can make them work.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The brick floor that I will be using on the repair pit side of the building is 1/8 inch thick which will almost make up for the fact that the scale in the picture doesn't start at the end of the rule.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

On the do-over front the floquil boxcar red paint that I started to paint the windows with does not exactly match the boxcar red acrylic paint that I will be using for brush on applications so I'm sticking with the acrylics and will painting all the boxcar red surfaces with the same paint.

The floquil paint is on top and has more red to it.
John Siekirk