Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricQuebec

What a piece of art.
John Have try 'Golden Soft gel (gloss) ' rather than Modge Podge to make water ?
I use it forl years. No need to make several coat, dry in 24H, and can be sculpted when apply to make wave.... a great product ...
Eric

Janbouli

The machinery would make a good reason for me to go to a larger scale , I just love the detail.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on March 24, 2018, 09:59:36 AM
I really like the last picture of the interior. It's very nicely done.

Curt

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm just getting started with the interior detail. Many of the machines will have work in progress.  I had to get the belt system all setup before I could start working out the details. As they say, please stay tuned.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on March 24, 2018, 11:00:16 AM
What a piece of art.
John Have try 'Golden Soft gel (gloss) ' rather than Modge Podge to make water ?
I use it forl years. No need to make several coat, dry in 24H, and can be sculpted when apply to make wave.... a great product ...
Eric

Eric

Thank you for the kind words. I have lots of details to add to this build - I like how the structure turned out now to frame it with some nice scenery.
This is the first time I've used Mod Podge for water. Based on the drying time I will be trying the Golden Soft gel (gloss) on my next project.  Thank you for the tip.
John Siekirk

Lynnb

This is really looking great, nice work on the interior.
I have tried modge podge and gotten a lot of small bubbles. The Golden products work well .
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on March 24, 2018, 04:20:40 PM
The machinery would make a good reason for me to go to a larger scale , I just love the detail.

Jan

You do great work in N scale. Every scale has it's advantages and disadvantages. I also love the details and sometimes think I should have switched to O. I think it's one of those grass is greener things.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on March 25, 2018, 04:18:37 PM
This is really looking great, nice work on the interior.
I have tried modge podge and gotten a lot of small bubbles. The Golden products work well .

Thanks for stopping by the thread and the kind words.  I will be giving the Golden products a try.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I finished up the roof on the Locomotive Works this weekend, and since this is my first experience with the paper metal roofing I thought I would post the process I used to color it. Here is a picture of the roof with the paper material as it comes out of the package.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I first colored the roofing with a Alcohol and chalk mixture using the Rembrandt 409.3 Dark Brown pastel chalk.

The two long roof sheds on the left show the roof after this first step.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

You will notice that I have a picture of a prototype roof on my iPad for reference.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step was to color the complete roof with a burnt umber (lighter and more red than the first coat) Vallejo pigment.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then started apply three different shade of rust pigments randomly to the roof. Here is what my pallet looked like.  This final step I applied the pigments dry.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The following pictures show the roof from various angles and finally installed on the Locomotive Works.  I also applied a light grey pigment to the cooled roofing portion of the roof before I took the pictures of the roof on the building.

John Siekirk