Trainsmania, Lille, France

Started by madharry, May 02, 2017, 02:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Hi,

Just back from a long weekend at the Trainsmania show in Lille with Red Hook Bay. We were received very well and have a couple invites to other future shows in France.

The continental layouts tend to be big on scenery with less focus on operation. The majority tend to be "run throughs" with a simple single or double track  design for almost "automatic" operation. Ours seems to be the only switching layout. The show was over three days with an 0800 breakfast followed by a full day until 1900. Tres fatigue as the locals would say.

They put us up in a small hotel on the outskirts of Lille and on the final morning we had a drive around the city before departing for the ferry. The prototype engines in the last picture are at Armentieres station.

Mike

GPdemayo

Enjoying the pictures Mike..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tct855

Mike,
          Very cool!  Looks like a lot of fun over there.  No problems with traveling?  You didn't get dragged off anywhere or punched in the caboose? ha. If no, then good trip!  Thanx Thom...

bparrish

Mike...

Sounds like a fun trip.

Thanx for the photos

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

Looks like you had a great trip Mike. You are right about scenery being more important then operations on most Continental layouts. I have seen the Gare de la Praz layout at Eurospoor, it's a wonderful scenic layout.

If you are ever closer by let me know Belgium or Germany for instance.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Congratulations, it looks like a lot of fun.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Thanks Guys, the French were quite friendly so no punch ups!

One invite is being confirmed for next October to Montelimar in the south of France. They have accepted my estimate of travel costs so.......Interestingly in the UK we have very few toll roads. I estimate the round trip from my home to the show will be 1500 miles (2400 kms) and the tolls will be in the region of 152 euros ($165).

Here are some pictures of a very nice O scale Dutch tram layout. It was arranged as an oval with four separate scenes.

Mike

postalkarl

Hi Mike:

Nice photos. glad you had a great time and got invited back.

Karl

Janbouli

Montelimar, you'll end up using your travel money for Nougat. If you're not fixed on getting there as fast as you can you can save the Toll money by taling the Route National RN, you'll see a lot more of France that way too. I know you always travel with your wife Mike , but should she ever be unable to make a trip , give me an email , if I can , I would gladly lend a hand and take a trip with you.
I love photo's, don't we all.

madharry

Thanks Karl. Jan I will bear that in mind thanks for the kind offer, maybe if we get an invite in Germany say..........

Here is a Cuban layout in ON30 by some Belgian modellers.

Mike

S&S RR

Mike

Very nice work and photographs.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hi Mike:

Ditto on what John said.

Karl

Mkrailway

Mike,

It is always good to see how modelling styles differ in various countries. I find that the EU scenery to be done very well and the trains are just part of the scenery, not vice-versa.

PRR Modeler

Very unique.  I don't think I have ever seen a layout based on Cuba.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Quote from: PRR Modeler on May 05, 2017, 02:34:40 PM
Very unique.  I don't think I have ever seen a layout based on Cuba.

Hi Curt,
One of our club members, Peter Smith, built a Cuban layout. It eventually ended up in a museum in Havana. See link for photos.
Mike
http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/galleries/members-layouts/peter-smith/