RailroadKits' "Used Car Lot" EF13B Downsized

Started by jbvb, March 10, 2014, 04:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

I began this a year ago, and recently got going again.  This is the cinderblock version of the kit.  I shrank the office area by a window and added a new window opening in the RH wall.
James

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jbvb

Windows are glazed & installed, some detail painting done.  Researching the sign.

James

bparrish

James...

Depending on the era you are modeling ( I can see an Alco loco in the background) consider using a sign from some now defunct auto maker......... Hudson... Studebraker,  Kaiser / Frazer or the like.

Don't forget that there we a lot of car dealers that had a gas pump out in front so that's an option also in the 40's and early 50's.  Veltex gas is a fun sign and also the certifying agency of United Motor Service had a distinctive oval sign at that time.

It's a very subtle way of reinforcing the time frame of your RR.

see ya
Bob

jbvb

This structure is a stand-in for R.E. Walters Buick Olds (and AMC in later years).  If I can find a photo of their sign or a logo, I'll use it, otherwise I'll wing it.
James

bparrish

ReadingBob

That's a very sharp looking structure as it is James.  It'll really pop when you add the signs and other details around it.  Well done!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jbvb

Thanks, Bob & Bob.  I'm trying to do Bridge Rd. in Newburyport here, condensed down to only two structures.  I painted the included details and made a first try at a sign.  The font is DejaVu Sans Mono, with the intra-letter spacing extended to 4 points.  I spent a little time playing with letter size and spacing trying to get a realistic feel for a 1950s-60s enameled metal sign. Following a few images I found on the net, the final will have Buick in red and Olds in blue.  Comments?
James

bparrish

James...

Looks good to me.............

Thanx
Bob

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

James

Looking great! Looking forward to watching your progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad