Rusty Rail's castings

Started by adm.nelson, December 24, 2017, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adm.nelson

I have almost every casting that Rusty Rails has made in HO and several in O scale too. (http://www.rustyrail.com/) Not all, and not many of the newer ones, only because I haven't gotten around to buying any lately.

But, how many of you just use the castings as-is, or do you modify them?

Me? I tend to modify them. There is one I used on a scratchbuilt version Of Sierra West's Blue Sky model, I called it Rusty's Salvage. Because I had a lot of his castings, and it seemed apt. I happen to use one, # RRJP-H-21, with three vehicles. The casting he has now seems to have been modified, as the middle car is different than mine.

What I did was use a scroll saw to cut out the center car. It was a solid resin casting, and I wanted to add additional details, like an open interior. The center of the car was then cut out the same way.

OK, had to shut the computer down, got stuck. Sorry.

Anyway, after I modified the casting, I added it back and weathered and detailed the rest of the casting, a tree, additional junk in the model T, and ground cover. The castings are a great addition to almost any layout, and with some additional help, they turn out unique and has a little more WOW factor.

rpdylan

this is a really good idea,,,,I have some of these types of large castings and cutting them up helps when placing on a diorama!
Bob C.

adm.nelson

Hi bob, your right. They make wonderful additions to a model scene.

Here are a few more of this scene.

Tony B.

fbernard65

I just bought a bunch of castings for a scratchbuilding project I am going to be starting very soon.  Great castings.

Frank

adm.nelson

Quote from: fbernard65 on December 24, 2017, 07:08:05 PM
I just bought a bunch of castings fro a scratchbuilding project I am going to be starting very soon.  Great castings.

Frank

They are. I have used them on nearly every model I built, except a few.

engine909

Beautiful casting, and very fair pricing from a great company. Nice figures also.
ed

adm.nelson

Quote from: engine909 on December 24, 2017, 11:05:04 PM
Beautiful casting, and very fair pricing from a great company. Nice figures also.
ed

I agree.