FOS Hill - Large Dio or Begin of a layout

Started by EricQuebec, December 31, 2017, 10:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd W.

Absolutely fantastic build!  Your use of the array of mediums available and material recreated is inspiring and at first I thought this was the actual FOS kit!  nice work and I look forward to following!
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

jimmillho

Eric,
I can't say more than has already has been said.  You are one of the masters of scratch building.  I continue to be impressed and will continue to follow this thread.

Jim

EricQuebec

Thank you LynnB, Mark, Karl, Todd and Jim for your positive comment about this project.
i much appreciate it.

Eric Quebec city

EricQuebec

Hello All,
Here's some progress about this project.
I've spent all february and March to work on the second part of Burdick Oyster company. That was not very difficult, but needed a lot of work, especially on thepart of the roof that was cover with slate shingle. I've search many time on the web to find something like those offer by South River modelworks. I've found many interesting product, but infortunatelly, too expensive for my poor Canadian dollars. So, I've decide to buy a grey sheet of  paper (Canson Brand)and doing my own slate shingle. The pattern was very simply do with Corel draw ans directly printed on canson paper. Then the most boring job ever take hase begin : cutting the shingles. there's two cut between all shingles. that was very very long to do . I could have stopped after cutting a half sheet, but by a kind of masochism, I cut two sheet  more following a decision made on a stroke of madness in prevision of the next project.
Here'S the final pictures of this building

EricQuebec

Once this building was finish, I've spend some time to finish the draw of the next building of this project. It'S an other Doug'S Masterpiece : the main building of Dead Horse Bay.
I've make some little change on it, like ... cover all the roof with slate shingle ( what a madness :) ), change the name of Terrien for Whateley, and Horvath for Tillinghart (all name inspired from H.P.Lovecraft literacy). I'Ve shorten the Horvath building, for take place for a commercial facade.  For information, the chimney are scratchbuild too with Evergreen styrene Tubing and Mosnster modelworks laser bick work on basswood sheet.
Here's the final picutre of this building that was an intense  scratchbuilding pleasure. I my own opinion, Ithink it's one of the better I've do at this time... (I  am rarely so satisfied and proud of what I did)

EricQuebec

here's a few more.

That's all for today.
Feel free to comment, as usual.
To be continued...
Eric Quebec city

restocarp

Brilliant, as usual. Eric, you continue to inspire. Well done, sir.

Matt

EricQuebec

Hey Matt,
Thank you for your comment :)
Eric Quebec city

tct855

Eric,
     What a cool build thread!  Such great modeling and realism with weathering etc.  So many words come to mind so I recorded all the best ones for posterity.  Thanx Thom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWYFxekoAsM

Mark Dalrymple

Fantastic, Eric!

Your work is outstanding.  The home made tiles came up very well, and I love the little mansard roof - a lot of work in that, no doubt!  Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy your posts. 

By the way - I'm pretty sure the tiles/ shingles would have been from Northeastern scale lumber co.  They aren't particularly cheap, and you don't get the same satisfaction as you do from a bit of 'make my own' insanity!  Its probably why so many kit manufacturers use so much tar paper for their roofs - from my observations they certainly seem to be over represented in the modelling world.  Here in New Zealand wrinkly tin rules (corrugated iron roofs), particularly in the era I model.  I often swap out kit roofs of tar paper or cedar shingles for wrinkly tin - for which I use Campbell's corrugated iron sheeting.

Cheers, Mark.

sdrees

Hey Eric, great job.  Your weathering look great and I like the way your signs turned out.  Fantastic job.
Steve Drees
SP RR

EricQuebec

Quote from: tct855 on July 21, 2018, 09:50:02 AM
Eric,
     What a cool build thread!  Such great modeling and realism with weathering etc.  So many words come to mind so I recorded all the best ones for posterity.  Thanx Thom...

Thank for your good  comment Thom :)
Eric

EricQuebec

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 21, 2018, 04:31:02 PM
Fantastic, Eric!

Your work is outstanding.  The home made tiles came up very well, and I love the little mansard roof - a lot of work in that, no doubt!  Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy your posts. 

By the way - I'm pretty sure the tiles/ shingles would have been from Northeastern scale lumber co.  They aren't particularly cheap, and you don't get the same satisfaction as you do from a bit of 'make my own' insanity!  Its probably why so many kit manufacturers use so much tar paper for their roofs - from my observations they certainly seem to be over represented in the modelling world.  Here in New Zealand wrinkly tin rules (corrugated iron roofs), particularly in the era I model.  I often swap out kit roofs of tar paper or cedar shingles for wrinkly tin - for which I use Campbell's corrugated iron sheeting.

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark,
Thank you very much for your comment. The mansard roof was very funny to do. It have take a long time to make the template with Corel Draw, after what the assembly was very simple for a great result. At this time, the roof isn't glue on the top of tower, that 'S explain the fact that it isn'T perfectly centred on the top of tower.
I'm totally agree with you about the over representation of tar paper in kit. In this project I try to vary the roof a little bit with adjunction of batterne on roof for example, just to break the uniformity of the tar paper.

Eric.

EricQuebec

Quote from: sdrees on July 21, 2018, 10:20:31 PM
Hey Eric, great job.  Your weathering look great and I like the way your signs turned out.  Fantastic job.
Hey Steve,
Thank you for stopping and comment .
For the sign, I add a little bit of earth color, particulary on the white letter. It help to make the illusion that the sign is paint on the wall.
Eric

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL