The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 10, 2020, 05:44:07 PM
Great to see you posting Tom. You really nailed the river colors.

Curt,

Nice to be back in the layout saddle. The river did turn out better than expected.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on December 11, 2020, 04:20:15 AM
Hey Tom:

Beautiful job. Your scenery always amzes me.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you for the very kind compliment, very much appreciated.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: cuse on December 11, 2020, 07:58:33 AM
Glad to see you posting Tom. Your throw back pics remind how your current layout really captures the scenery of our region so effectively...Well done! Hope to see you soon.

John

John,

Thank you very much. The southern scenery is what really brings this layout into the true South.

You are welcome anytime Butty.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on December 11, 2020, 08:34:39 AM
Tom I guess all those oranges helped you get back on your feet!!  ;)

Beautiful scenery!

Jerry

Jerry,

Come to think of it, I think I did go through two gallons of Florida Orange Juice during my experience.

Thank you on the scenery compliment, much appreciated.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 11, 2020, 08:40:01 AM
Looks like the ole' Tom is back..... ;)

Greg,

I know the "old" Tom is back, at least for now.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Judge on December 12, 2020, 03:43:25 PM
Tom - I'm glad to see water finally making its way to that riverbed.  And thanks for the throwbacks.  It seems like onlly yesterday when we were planting orange trees. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7rD6at8IXo

Judge, AKA: Bill -

I'm glad the H2O is making its was down the river as well. Must be some sort of beaver dam upstream.  It has been several months of outside influence blocking my way. On it now though.

The TBT is fun and I hope to do more next Thursday. Maybe I'll show our progress as the orange trees were planted.

Nice video.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I've been busy on the river area but also got side tracked on putting up the Babe's outside Christmas lights. Many little projects are needed to be completed prior to the water being poured.

I started with the spill pipes from the Pest Control site. This is going to be nasty stuff and no EPA back in the late 40's early 50's.

I started by cutting two different sizes of brass tubing to a random length. I painted them with one coat of Floquil Roof Brown. The paint was semi-thick and not usable. I opened the jar and added a few drops of thinner to the paint. I then used one of those battery operated paint mixers. This is the first time I've ever used one. I worked perfectly. The paint, after mixing, came out just right as if it was a new bottle of paint.

I grabbed a piece of clear Cellophane from the kitchen.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then cut several thin pieces of the Cellophane and glued one end into the pipes. I glued two strips of the Cellophane into each pipe. When dry I squeezes the Cellophane together and used white glue to stiffen it.

I'll add another coat of Roof Brown and weathering to the drainage pipes and color the Cellophane the nasty chemical color.

The following photo shows how the pipes will look coming out of the wall and spilling nasty chemicals into the river.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

Judge

The run-off from the pest control company is really nasty stuff.  The owners carefully mix the different leftover chemicals and add secret compounds to make a product called "Grip-u-tite," which is basically a combination of milk of magnesia and Kaopectate.  The product is used as an additive to the mixed drinks of politicians.  It makes you want to go but you can't.

deemery

Quote from: Judge on December 13, 2020, 02:30:26 PM
The run-off from the pest control company is really nasty stuff.  The owners carefully mix the different leftover chemicals and add secret compounds to make a product called "Grip-u-tite," which is basically a combination of milk of magnesia and Kaopectate.  The product is used as an additive to the mixed drinks of politicians.  It makes you want to go but you can't.
Sounds like Deblasolene.  (Although medically, I found C Rations had a similar effect....)
dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

nycjeff

Hello Tom, I'm so glad to see you back working on your layout. I hope that you and your family are feeling better in time for the holidays. I know that here in Arizona the plague has been at least as bad as in Florida. Here's hoping we all get a present early next year of a vaccine that works and will get us back to normal, whatever that is. Happy Holidays... Jeff

By the way, I really like the method you used for the effluent coming out of the drain pipes, I would like to find a place for that on my layout, it looks great.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Quote from: jrmueller on December 12, 2020, 05:56:33 PM
Great to see you back to work on the layout Tom.

Jim,

Trust me my friend, I'm very very happy to be back.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Funny!

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on December 13, 2020, 02:50:31 PM
Sounds like Deblasolene.  (Although medically, I found C Rations had a similar effect....)
dave

Dave,

Many of the freeze dried crap had the same effect, internally speaking of course.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com