The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmillho

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on May 14, 2019, 08:08:34 PM
I agree it's under construction.  ;D

Dennis,

It's amazing how many different tools can end up on the work area. Thanks for stopping by and posting a comment.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Judge on May 14, 2019, 10:04:02 PM
I anticipate there may be some disagreement about using the long shank couplers on the 85' passenger cars.  The gap between cars is more noticeable than before.  However, these cars are models and compromise is inevitable in many phases of the hobby.  The distance between the cars is something Tom and I can live with considering the A&S has plans to back passenger trains into the Union Station to be located at Summit and derailment will be avoided, at least in most cases.  BTW derailments of passenger cars did not only occur when backing up.  It happened fairly regularly on the ovalix going forward.  Every time a derailment occurs on the ovalix, somebody (Tom) has to crawl under the layout to get inside that structural miracle.  It is extremely difficult for me to get inside the ovalix due to both knees being replaced and Tom is catching up to me on age.  So I give a loud cheer to replacing the couplers with long shanks.  Those cars just wouldn't back up without derailing, even on our broad curves.

Bill,

Remember Rule 1? This is our railroad so no other opinions are necessary. Long couplers? After all those long years of inadequate backing :'( , I'd gladly use double long coupler bars.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 15, 2019, 07:32:30 AM

As compromises go in our hobby this one is very minor as far as I'm concerned.   ;)

Bob,

Exactly right.

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I started work on the East Summit Yard as I mentioned yesterday. This yard is just over 16 feet in length.

When I installed the mainline in East Summit, I measured the center line for both the north and south ends of the yard. Both ends of the yard throat come off the mainline. The yard throat is 14.5 inches from the wall to the centerline.

Here is a photo of the south end throat area.

I obviously made a mistake on the north end. Refer to the photo below. The old centerline is shown at 13.25 inches from the wall. A new line is  marked under the 14.5 inch mark.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is what I did to fix the difference in the 1.25 inch offset.

I marked a point in the centerline on the north end. I used a long 1X3 and drew a line from the north end to the south end centerline.

I then glued the cork in place on the new line. In the next photo you can see the track in place with only a very slight 40" radius curve at the turnout to bring the track back in line.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

On each end of the yard is a short yard throat. The north end will hold a small loco and 6 cars. The south end will hold four cars and the south end mainline will be used in addition for switching in the south yard. More on this short yard throat later in the build thread.

This photo was taken prior to the cork and track being installed on the centerline.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

she's coming along quite nicely. I'll be following along.

Karl

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on May 16, 2019, 09:47:36 AM
Hey Tom:

she's coming along quite nicely. I'll be following along.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you, happy to have you following along.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jrmueller on May 16, 2019, 11:09:23 AM
Always enjoy following along. Jim

Jim,

Thank you, very much appreciate you checking in and following the build thread.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Didn't get much done this afternoon. Cutting the grass took some wind out of my sails.

I did get a few #6 turnouts installed in the north end of Summit Yard. These are all PECO turnouts.

Looking South -

Looking North-

Tomorrow I'll work on the south end of Summit Yard.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jimmillho

I am confused.......North is South and South is North.  I think you better get a new Compass or I need to recalibrate my eyes. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Jim

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on May 16, 2019, 07:23:06 PM
I am confused.......North is South and South is North.  I think you better get a new Compass or I need to recalibrate my eyes. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Jim

Jim,

Problem fixed, my eyes had dyslexia with letters. I did say cutting the grass took the wind and letters out of my sails.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com