What to do with old model railroad magazines?

Started by NEMMRRC, September 30, 2018, 09:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

I have a LOT of old model railroad magazines. It's a variety of the major publications. I've subscribed over many years and collected past issues. I no longer want all that paper.

What to do with all those magazines?

I have a couple of the digital collections so I can use that for reference.

Any suggestions besides thrown them in the garbage ?

Thanks for your input.

Jaime

S&S RR

Jaime

I'm going through the same process. I have boxes full of magazines stored under the layout, most of which were stored before the digital versions were available.  I made the decision to get rid of all my paper versions, EXCEPT for the GAZETTE.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

I went through the process as well.

I offered all 500+ I had to the local railroad clubs, FREE! No takers.

I offered them FREE to the local hobby shop and suggested they sell them for $1 each. No deal.

I offered them to other modelers, FREE! No takers.

The City Garbage Collector took them all for FREE.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Just go ahead and throw them out and save yourselves a lot of trouble.

Tom 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Vietnam Seabee

Tom...I wish I had known...I would have taken them as I could have driven over (from Lee Rd and Edgewater) and picked them up...oh wait.....my wife would have 'blown a gasket' as she's trying to downsize ;-))

Terry

bparrish

Possible solution.....

Carry a few issues with you to various doctor offices and the like.

Leave them behind as a recruiting strategy.   

similarly...  some schools will accept them in their "take it " area for anyone who might come along. 

Just an idea.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

EricQuebec

The only one problem I see for taken all to the garbage is :
In some very old issue of RMC, or MR we can fund some little jewel of draw that take a very good model today. (for example, the Oct 1955 issue of RMC, for the Lloyd Geibner article,and that G. Sellios have done, or some very interesting article about E. S Tenement  row).
But that's right that the recent issue of this magazines have no more value than the paper where they're printed.
Just an opinion
Eric

NEMMRRC

Quote from: bparrish on September 30, 2018, 11:06:29 AM
Possible solution.....

Carry a few issues with you to various doctor offices and the like.

Leave them behind as a recruiting strategy.   

similarly...  some schools will accept them in their "take it " area for anyone who might come along. 

Just an idea.

See ya
Bob

Great idea !

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: EricQuebec on September 30, 2018, 11:09:47 AM
In some very old issue of RMC, or MR we can fund some little jewel of draw that take a very good model today. (for example, the Oct 1955 issue of RMC, for the Lloyd Geibner article,and that G. Sellios have done, or some very interesting article about E. S Tenement  row).
But that's right that the recent issue of this magazines have no more value than the paper where they're printed.
Just an opinion
Eric

I plan to harvest those jewels before letting go of my "stash".

Jaime

Janbouli

I like the idea of giving them to a school , maybe the crafts teacher at a school to give to interested children.
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Janbouli on September 30, 2018, 03:19:16 PM
I like the idea of giving them to a school , maybe the crafts teacher at a school to give to interested children.
I'll ask around to see if that's an option where I live.

Jaime

ACL1504

Quote from: EricQuebec on September 30, 2018, 11:09:47 AM
Just an opinion
Eric

I forgot to mention I pulled out all the articles and pictures I was interested in.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Vietnam Seabee on September 30, 2018, 10:55:09 AM
Tom...I wish I had known...I would have taken them as I could have driven over (from Lee Rd and Edgewater) and picked them up...oh wait.....my wife would have 'blown a gasket' as she's trying to downsize ;-))

Terry

Terry,

I got rid of them some 15 years ago. 8) I had them back in the 40's to late 90's.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Man....yet another timely topic. I'm cleaning out under my layout as well as I prepare to do more wiring and other work. I also want to just dump a zillion issues of MRR and other mags but I keep thinking there will be a couple of things I want to keep. The reality is that I can probably find stuff as good or better on the Internet now, but there are a few jewels as others have said. Maybe I could just focus on saving the full color pictures of the FSM ads that used to come out.....
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee