Emporium Scratch

Started by fsmcollector67, February 23, 2019, 01:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulS

Quote from: fsmcollector67 on February 24, 2019, 11:54:25 AM
Quote from: PaulS on February 24, 2019, 07:33:25 AM
Loren,
Superb !!   Looking forward to seeing this come together.
With regards to your outstanding doors, it appears you build them on a template of card stock or chipboard to which you apply the weathered boards.  Is this the approach ?   And tell us how did you go about making up the knob sets and barrel hinges ??
Thanks very much and again just superb,
--Paul
Paul,
I use a 1/64 birch plywood for most of the bases, except doors that will be seen from both sides. This stuff is very ridged. I get it in Michaels crafts, but I have seen it in the local hobby shop as well. The hinges, and knobs are a cheat....they are resin copies of the castings. (don't tell Jimmy). I have to draw the line someplace. Those I do with a two part mold putty, that is cured in 20 minutes, than pour fast cast resin in it. Thanks for the compliment.

Loren...

Thanks for the information Loren, much appreciated,  AND your secret is safe with me   ;)
Looking forward to following along with your progress on this one !!
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

fsmcollector67

Paul,
Not a problem...give it a try sometime....The way I got started with doors, was the first scratch I did someone said "did you do the doors also?" Than I thought "I wonder if I could?". Since than I rarely use plastic doors. Thankfully They never asked about the windows.....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

MAP

Any progress pics on the build Loren?
Mark

fsmcollector67

Quote from: MAP on February 26, 2019, 07:05:14 AM
Any progress pics on the build Loren?
Mark,
I am working on the walls, had to run down to Jerry's Artarama this morning for some paints and stuff. might have a few for tomorrow...

9 Fingers Loren.....

MAP

Hey Loren,  my wife used to work there when she was in her teens.  I think it used to be called Art Supply Warehouse back then. 
Mark

fsmcollector67

Quote from: MAP on February 26, 2019, 08:55:40 PM
Hey Loren,  my wife used to work there when she was in her teens.  I think it used to be called Art Supply Warehouse back then.
Mark,
If you have never been down there, great place for brushes, and paints, and chalks. Just outside Wilton, on RT 7.

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Hey All,
Just a quick update today. I managed to get the cornice copied, and I have begun to paint, and weather the walls. The wall pics are kind of crappy, I was in a hurry....More pics coming soon...

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

fsmcollector67

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 27, 2019, 06:30:56 PM
I like the cornice a lot.
Curt,
Thanks so much....I was wondering how I was going to do the corbels, and I ended up just casting copies of the originals, and gluing them to the wood base.

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

MAP

Looking good Loren.  Is that an A&I wash on the walls?
Mark

fsmcollector67

Quote from: MAP on February 28, 2019, 06:18:45 AM
Looking good Loren.  Is that an A&I wash on the walls?
Mark,
it is a combination of driftwood pickling wash, a light coat of Hunterline black, than rubbed with 0000 steel wool, than a light coat of hunterline driftwood, and finally a dry brush of driftwood paint. Gee! did not realize had that many steps to it....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

vinceg

What is driftwood pickling wash?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

fsmcollector67

Quote from: vinceg on February 28, 2019, 04:11:42 PM
What is driftwood pickling wash?
Vince,
Folkart makes it. It is a craft paint that is used to give wood an aged look. Michaels crafts carry it. You brush it on, wait 30 seconds, and wipe excess off. Leaves a light gray color, but also some thin bare spots, that the wood shows through more.  I have used it on other projects, and I like the results. See pic below...

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

vinceg

Thanks, Loren. I'll pick me up a bottle.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

fsmcollector67

Hey All,
Just a couple pics today. Started to glue in the windows, and the doors. The walls for the most part are weathered. I might add some chalk here, and there for just some color variations, and also some grime running down from the windows.  Thanks for taking a look....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....