Snug Harbor

Started by ollevon, May 12, 2014, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollevon

Sorry guys, couldn't get to do any work on the diorama. too much "Honey Do " today so not much done on the dry dock but I'll post what I have so far. These are lousy pictures.

as you can see a lot more work to do.  I need to add the roller tracks for the cradle to ride up on, also an overhead crane, and of course a hoist house, and work shop, all which have to be scratch built.  I'll post pictures  " better ones hopefully" when that section is done.

Sam

ollevon

These are two of the structures I plan on using on snug harbor. I have many more but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I have to much work to do before I start adding structures but just to give you an idea of whats to come. most of all buildings will have to be scratch built to fit on the diorama.

Sam

bparrish

Fun structures

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ollevon

Good morning all,
  I have the dry dock ramp, and boat cradle complete. Next I will build the Seaport Models, full hull lobster boat. I will set it aside until I'm ready to place it on the diorama.

Model on
  Sam

ollevon

Good morning gang,  I been scratch building the hoist house and workshop the last couple of weeks, just a few more details  to add and I'll post a photo soon.
  Sam

S&S RR

Looking good! Just getting caught up with your progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ollevon

Good morning guys, I finished the first structure and is now in it's place on the dio. Still need to build the Seaport Models lobster boat, and add that to the rails. If any of you can see where I may need to make any correction, or have any suggestions, please reply. I'm always open for ideas. Thanks.

My next challenge is to scratch build a draw bridge in the open position.

Sam

DACS

Very nice Sam.  I saw a post here in your thread where someone said they had never used or seen foam used like this.  To that follower I will tell you this.  Foam makes for a very solid base as well as very light construction.   Beats plywood all to heck.   It is really easy to work with.
All my module construction is done with this medium.  It can also be enclosed with framing for an entire layout.

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle, Wa
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

ollevon

Thanks Dave, 
    That poster would be  "bparrish---Bob"    I thought he was just kidding because I know he is a master modeler, I have seen some of his work so that's how I rate him.
  The diorama base is gator foam, and all the land forms is 1" extruded foam and a little 2" foam in the top left corner.  Foam is very easy to work with, cuts easy, shapes easy It's a great product to model with.  So Bob, if you really never tried it, give it a shot. You'll like it.
  Sam

bparrish

Sam. 

Thanx for the compliment regarding the master thing.

True confessions.     I completed my MMR about four years ago. It is something all modelers should consider; regardless of the horror stories that are flying around.

I was not kidding about the foam.  It has not found its way to downtown idaho yet.

I am a part of a two person group of trolley modelers. Me and him. We are considering adding some additional sections. I'll consider making stuff from foam.

Thanx
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

postalkarl

Hi Sam:

I like the layout. I always liked ferry slips to. Like the boat on the repair ramp also. Will be awaiting more photos.

Karl

ollevon

Thank you Karl,
    I will be posting photos as I go along.  At the moment I am struggling with building a draw bridge. I would like to build it in the open position, like I said I am struggling with this project and I'm not sure if I can pull it off convincingly, but I'll give it my best shot, with a photo to follow.
  Sam

ollevon

Good morning guys & gals
  Well I got a good start on the draw bridge, it seems to be coming along just fine. It looks like I'll need to spend a few more days on it before I can mount it on the diorama and then I'll post a picture.
  Have a great day,
  Sam

ollevon

Good evening all,  well I got my draw bridge all built,  and installed but, I can't seem to post any pictures because my PC is messed up. I'll have to get someone to take a look at it and I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.
  Sam

ollevon

Well I guess it's about time, I just got my PC back and all seem to be back to normal. My draw bridge is in place so now I'm ready to move on to the next phase. Here is a photo's of the draw bridge.

Sam