Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

John,

One can get overwhelmed with brain ideas and that will shut you down from over analysis. You've been there and done that. So, like Bob said, having fun is what counts.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

John looking forward to the new build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

cuse

Wake up, Sleepy Thread!

the vision for the new layout is quickly becoming clearer.

I have an overall area of 5' x 8'. I plan to blatantly copy a Georgetown Loop layout that I saw on FaceBook. That layout is 4'x8' and has Zero turnouts or structures! When I first saw it - I was bemused..."why would anyone build a layout of this size without a single structure or siding?"...the more I looked at it, the more I thought it was fascinating. One big dramatic bridge and fantastic mountainous scenery as a beautiful backdrop to watch a sound-equipped, minutely detailed Blackstone steamer pull a short train. This goal was developed primarily as "bait" for my 15 month old grandson - who won't be able to resist the appeal of a chuffing locomotive working its way up and around the mountains.

The additional 1'x8' strip along one edge will contain much of the visible HOn30 portion of the layout (overall roughly 2.5' x 8', with quite a bit of concealed trackage underneath the elevated HOn3 loop). This busy little strip will feature some of my beloved waterfront structures and scenes. Given the wide-open spaces in the mountainous portion, I won't hesitate to pack the waterfront with structures, sidings and details.

I love a good track plan and will try to put one together soon, but here's a pic of the Georgetown Loop layout that I'm so inspired by...I do plan to add a siding along the right side to a mine scene and hope to include a strictly scenic siding elsewhere to display my (yet to be built) Sierra West Work Train and a couple of structures and a lot more trees. What Is really appealing is the tremendous depth of negative scenery (below track level) as well as high mountains - which I plan to have crawl up the back wall to well over 6' from the floor. The pic is a screenshot from a YouTube video made by "Historical Modeler"...

deemery

That Loop Layout is different in a good way.  I've ridden the Loop and been up to Georgetown/Silver Plume a bunch of times.  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

cuse

Quote from: deemery on September 06, 2024, 09:26:09 AMThat Loop Layout is different in a good way.  I've ridden the Loop and been up to Georgetown/Silver Plume a bunch of times. 

dave
I was fortunate to ride it at last year's NNGC - with our friend John Siekirk. I've become weirdly obsessed with that layout...it's almost outside of our hobby and just an "operating diorama"  :)....Like, "this guy doesn't get it - where are the structures?" and it has slowly evolved into a nearly perfect layout (for it's purpose). I'm going to try not to wreck it's beautiful simplicity (by cramming in) an added mine scene (ostensibly within the tight inner curve) and a siding veering off to the back right ending with my yet to be built Sierra West Engine Svc facility.

Zephyrus52246

What a cool small layout.  Looking forward to your rendition. 

Jeff

cuse

Thanks guys...

I've finished the HOn30 trackage (other than replacing missing ties, etc) and, just for kicks, mocked up some of the upper Georgetown Loop roadbed to get a sense of fit and elevation...obviously, the grades are just thrown together for now. Ultimately, the port scene (HOn30) will be largely isolated and a good portion of the loop will be in a tunnel. The Masonite mounted to the benchwork is the floor of the deep gorge that will cross the layout diagonally and justify the large steel Georgetown Loop bridge. Some of the HOn30 trackage will run along the inside of the gorge before heading into a tunnel. The elevated area to the back right will be my (someday) highly-detailed Sierra West Engine Svc scene. I'm still hoping to fit a nice mine scene inside the 18" innermost loop (towards the back wall). Ultimately, the mountains will climb the wall to the top of the foam profile on the backdrop...That's my plan but I can't promise I'll stick to it  ;D

John

deemery

John, now's a good time to think about how you'll do the water.  If you're going to do an acrylic pour, you can work out "backstop" dams all along the back of the waterfront/banks, to make darn sure the water resin doesn't have any place to leak out.

It'll be fun watching how this comes together.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to