PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

You're creeping up on Greg Speed.....looking good Curt.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Curt,

I don't know if you are approaching "Greg speed", but steady progress is being made.  I am curious about the lack of bracing between leg pairs.  Are you planning to add it later, or is the benchwork stable due to all the sections being connected together?
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Greg and Jerry.

Jerry I have straight bracing on the rectangular modules towards the bottom of the legs. Those legs are only 28.5 inches from outside edge to outside edge and there are 2 bolts connecting each one to the framework. On the module today I added cross bracing between the legs because the measurement is 4'11". If it becomes necessary I can always add bracing but I honestly don't think it will be needed. Thank you for your question...it got me thinking about it.

Today I finished the right side framing and realized that I am halfway through the framing process. Tomorrow I'm hanging photos on the walls (I have lot's). I figure it will be easier at this step instead of later when I have to be extra careful. I did do the workbench wall today.

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Curt,

Looking very nice. Track laying is getting close.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Thank you Tom. Probably not so close ;D.

Today with son's help I got all my pictures put up and able to get rid of 3 boxes. Afterwards I moved everything away from the left wall.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Looking just great. You have A beautiful room for your RR.

Karl

GPdemayo

A lot of PRR pictures, but what about the subs?  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Good Afternoon,

Thank you Karl and Greg.

Greg- If I put up anything it would be the shadow box I received when I retired from the Navy. I haven't decided on it yet. It's like blowing your own horn.

Today I made a trip to Lowes for wood and screen spline. After getting home I made the next module, a short 4 ft. one. All the same work except extra bracing and a second set of legs. Luckily Lowes got in a shipment of new 1x4x8's so the wood was in good shape and I didn't have to go to another store. I am working down the left wall now.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Not blowing your horn.....it's the memories.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

deemery

Speaking of shadow boxes:  In one of the videos of the late Paul Scoles' layout, the camera passed by a box on his wall with some medals in it.  I had to rewind and freeze to see what was in the box.  2 Silver Stars and 2 Purple Hearts, among other things...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thanks for following Greg and Dave.

Greg- I did decide to put up my shadow box. Two things of note are the dolphins are the set I earned on my first boat (you have to requalify on each boat) and the flag was raised over the Arizona Memorial.

Today I built a 6 ft. module. After attaching it I moved stuff on the floor around since I decided that I would be smarter to do the 2 module peninsula before the end module since I would have more room to build in. The current plan is for the peninsula to be 10'6" long but I may cut that back a foot or so to give me walking space on the end of it.

Probably no work tomorrow as we are going bowling with the grandkids after lunch.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Looks good Curt.....looking forward to see it in person and hearing some of the stories..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Curt.

Looks great and level.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Good Afternoon,

Thank you Greg and Tom for following and your support.

Today was supposed to be a non layout day and was supposed to go out with the grandkids but that fell through because as my daughter put it they were acting like buttheads...ah, the teenage years. So after lunch I built a 5 foot peninsula module and mounted it. The second one is supposed to be the same size but I'm going to make it a foot shorter to give me more room getting into the center of the layout. The peninsula is 39" wide compared to the 30" against the walls. There is between 27'' and 28'' between the peninsula and other modules.
Curt Webb

ReadingBob

Great progress Curt.   :D  I'm jealous.   ::)  Jealous of anyone who has room for a layout that is.   :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.