The St. Louis & Denver Railroad - The Build

Started by GPdemayo, December 21, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

Repro---what ??????

Bate is what we use for fishing.   One of benifits of retirement. Going fishing when you want.

You boys keep uncorking these big words and gnat and I are reminded why we are riff and raff.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

GPdemayo

Quote from: bparrish on October 10, 2014, 10:53:59 AM
Repro---what ??? ???

Bate is what we use for fishing.   One of benifits of retirement. Going fishing when you want.

You boys keep uncorking these big words and gnat and I are reminded why we are riff and raff.

See ya
Bob

Hi Bob.....I thought "bate" was what you got when you ordered at a sushi restaurant?  :D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Well it has taken a bit, but the previous post was the last chapter of the StL&D thread from the "other" forum. This post marks the first new post for the StL&D thread on this forum. Where to begin?

Much has occurred since the last post of this thread in August of 2013. Our construction/development consulting business  slowly picked up with existing clients in Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana and things began popping with a new client from New Jersey until this past July. Given the current economic conditions and the proclivities of those idiots in D.C., we are currently proceeding with a bit of caution, we'll see what develops from the mid term elections last month.

The layout has progressed little since the last post when I was adding ballast to the mainline. I have tried to do a little bit of work when I could steal a few minutes, but real work has been interfering, not that I'm complaining. I have adjusted a couple of switches, added a little more ballast and continued with the track spiking, a bit at a time.

The current plan is get the remaining rail installed in phase 2 around the coaling tower and the engine house. To complete this, I need to build 2 more #6 switches, which I have been putting off since spring. Also, I have been playing with stone castings and other material types so I can get to work on the retaining walls along the mainline. 

In addition to getting the switches built, I have been trying to get JimmyD's Depot/Station, CCR's A.D. Low Company Shipping  and the Railroad Rooming House finished all year. I get into the work area, look at the models to see which one to work on, turn around and go do some marketing or read a book. I haven't been able to get off dead center all year. The picture below is how the buildings have sat since last April or May.

Exhibit #1 - (Misc-110)

The only railroading fix I can seem to get these days is to watch all the builds on the forum and everyone else's layout progress. At least y'all are keeping me in the game by proxy.....thanks so much for your efforts and I really do appreciate and enjoy following along on all your builds and projects.

The one area that I have been making progress in is planning. I have been able to get a little planning done with how Pegi and I want to remodel the house over the last month or so. I have been giving a lot of thought about the sun room addition and adding on a room dedicated entirely to the railroad and leaving the sun room to Pegi and her design whims.

Long story short, the west side of our lot would allow me to build a room approximately 36' x 58' and give me about 2,100 sf for the layout and work area. As much as I would like such a grand space, I am thinking that at this late date in life, it would be a far larger job than I would want to handle.

As of today, the sun room addition is winning. By the time I got the room built, I would probably be to decrepit to crawl around under the layout to get everything wired up. The dedicated room I was referring to could possibly like this.

Exhibit #2 - (Railroad Room)

Given that analysis, I revisited the sun room area and reconfigured that area to give me approximately 18.5' x 26.5' of layout space. Something like I'm thinking about is below.

Exhibit #3 (Proposed Sun Room)

The layout could be configured in a number of ways, but I keep going back to my original design of a limited mainline with continuous running and a branchline that would service mining and timber industries in a small mountain boom town.

With the additional room, I could add a small stub-in station on the mailine to accommodate the passenger train sets I have accumulated over the years and a greatly expanded mountain area. This wouldn't be the perfect plan, but it would allow for more structures and more operating options and still give me a place to store and run the passenger trains.

The outline for the benchwork area will look something like the exhibit below. The 2 dashed lines on the right and bottom are the edges of phase 1 and phase 2.

Exhibit #4 (Benchwork Outline)

Given this new direction, I am holding off on building phase 3 and 4 of the current plan and am working on incorporating the first 2 phases into an expanded layout. I will post additional ideas as they are developed.

To this end, I have been slowly expanding my kit stash with an eye to more scenes for industries like mining, manufacturing, timber and urban/rural scenes with residential and commercial areas. I have added some FSM, SRMW, BTS, Campbell, RailroadKits and Branchline Train kits to the stash and will start building them while I work toward getting the sum room built.

Back to work, see y'all next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

.....A Happy Christmas Tale or How I Could Have Gotten Snookered If A Miscreant Wasn't A Friend.....

Disclaimer: Any resemblance or illusion to anyone in this story to a real person is purely intentional!

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been accumulating kits that I want with an eye toward an enlarged layout that could use more industries. Another purchase, earlier this summer, is my first brass loco in over 30 years. The Precision Scale Companies C&O J-3 Greenbriar 4-8-4 #603.

Exhibit #1 - (#603-19)

The purchase was not planned, but kind of happened, with a little help of another miscreant on this forum, and is kind of a funny story. The story begins on a bright and sunny day last June, when a certain member (Tom's name shall remain anonymous throughout this post) was visiting his LHS.

The owner asked him if he would like to see some brass engines that he had picked up from an estate sale. The miscreant already owns more brass than most hobby stores and really didn't need more, however, said "sure, let's see what you have". So, out comes 3 boxes, 2 steamers and an unpowered diesel "B" unit.

It just so happens that 1 steamer and the "B" unit were used by one of the railroads that the miscreant has on his layout, but not the C&O. The hobby shop guy was selling all 3 for a really good price and this miscreant, being of shrewd character and having knowledge of his friend's weakness for steam locos, hastily formulated a plan that would give him the 2 engines he wanted for free.

So on a fateful Thursday at the end of June, here I come expecting to have a nice BS session and some bar-b-que, instead I walk in the door and look around to see what progress has been made on the ovalix and there sitting on the track was this beautiful steam engine.

Exhibit #2 - (#603-52)

As to be expected by any normal, red blooded old fart, my eyes were wide as saucers and there might have been a bit of drool evident. What do you think of my latest addition, says the miscreant? Not being of sound mind at this point, and completely unaware that I was being set up, I blabbered out that it was "gorgeous". Well, says he,with a small grin, I might not be able to use it, so I might have to put it on e-bay.

Exhibit #3 - (#603-51)

Oh the humanity, how could such a wonderful engine go on e-bay? I took a few rides on the C&O out to St. Louis when I was a kid and used to ride on passenger trains like the ones this engine used to pull. What could I do? It would be one thing if he was going to put it in his stash, I would have a shot at buying it later, but he was putting it on e-bay. I didn't want to spend the kind of money it was worth, but I couldn't let it go to someone else.

Exhibit #4 - (#603-50)

Ah, said he, "I might be able to cut you a deal, since I'm such a nice guy and friend to steam loco lovers everywhere". The clouds parted and the sun shined thru! The miscreants deal was too good to be true! Says I, "Do I have a little time to give it some thought or do you need a decision right away"? Says he, "I won't get around to e-bay for a few weeks". "Okay, I'll let you know shortly", says I.

Exhibit #5 - (#603-49)

Keep in mind that SBG member-in-training Bill was watching this drama play out and I was so oblivious that I didn't pay any attention to the little poop eating grin he had on his face. If I hadn't been so wrapped up in my memories of past train rides and beautiful steam engines and paid more attention to what was going on around me that day I would have been in a better bargaining position.

To finish this tale of woe and joy, on a Saturday, a few days later, while Pegi and I were running errands, we dropped by with a check in hand and became the proud owners of a beautiful brass steam locomotive. 

The irony of this tale.....a year or so ago, I sold a set of 6 heavyweight C&O passenger cars to Judge Bill and the miscreant for his layout.

The moral of this tale.....if someone, no matter how close a friend, knows your weaknesses, don't go into a bargaining session with lust in your eyes and drool on your chin.

Next time y'all !
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

deemery

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 11, 2014, 09:06:32 AM
Quote from: bparrish on October 10, 2014, 10:53:59 AM
Repro---what ??? ???

See ya
Bob

Hi Bob.....I thought "bate" was what you got when you ordered at a sushi restaurant?  :D
Wow, there's a heluva price difference between those two kinds of bate....   

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Okay, I do have a response but don't have time to put words to print just yet. However, stay tuned to this thread and later this evening I'll give you the Paul Harvey version.

Tom ;D ;D AKA: Firestarter Miscreant 8) 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 23, 2014, 02:50:42 PM
Okay, I do have a response but don't have time to put words to print just yet. However, stay tuned to this thread and later this evening I'll give you the Paul Harvey version.

Best hurry up and post Mr. Creant before you lose your legal immunity in four calling birds!  :-X

How could ACL be a MIScreant?
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Erieman

Greg,

That was a such a sad story. Almost bought tears to my eyes. Now the question is, now that you have that beautiful engine, did you get your heavyweight cars back? That would be the full monty if you did. Tom is a good guy to have on your side. Did he tell you that we have been Skyping? My new phone has a front and rear camera. The other day i showed him my room and then on Sunday we showed Russ's layout. I had some problems with my layout because of the wireless reception. I now need to try turning the wireless function off and see how well it performs. Next time your over to Tom's, let me know and we will try it again. Have a very Merry Christmas and good luck getting the C&O heavyweights back from the Judge.

Frank / Erieman

GPdemayo

Okay.....I'm waiting, give me your best shot !  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Erieman on December 23, 2014, 04:37:25 PM
Greg,

That was a such a sad story. Almost bought tears to my eyes. Now the question is, now that you have that beautiful engine, did you get your heavyweight cars back? That would be the full monty if you did. Tom is a good guy to have on your side. Did he tell you that we have been Skyping? My new phone has a front and rear camera. The other day i showed him my room and then on Sunday we showed Russ's layout. I had some problems with my layout because of the wireless reception. I now need to try turning the wireless function off and see how well it performs. Next time your over to Tom's, let me know and we will try it again. Have a very Merry Christmas and good luck getting the C&O heavyweights back from the Judge.

Frank / Erieman

Hi Frank,

Well, I guess it could have been sad, but it did have a happy ending for me.

And no, I didn't get the passenger cars back, but Tom said I could bring the engine down, after I convert it to DCC, and run it around with the C&O passenger cars.

I just missed your Skype call the other morning and I look forward to it, as I have never done that type of call before. I just find it amazing that you got Tom into the 21st century.

Merry Christmas to you too!
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 23, 2014, 05:37:50 PM

Okay.....I'm waiting, give me your best shot !  ;D

Gregory, oh Gregory,

The truth is you are so easy I don't need to take my best shot. Just being in the ballpark gets you everytime. :o :o :o :o :-X :-X :-X :-X

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 23, 2014, 05:45:42 PM

And no, I didn't get the passenger cars back, but Tom said I could bring the engine down, after I convert it to DCC, and run it around with the C&O passenger cars.

I'm sorry, but did you say and I quote, "After I convert it to DCC"?
Who is going to convert it to DCC? Yes, me (ACL1504) not I (Gregory DeMayo)!

TEL ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Okay, here is the story. I must say I'm pretty surprised Greg got most of it correct.

I was in the local hobby shop and was surprised to see this beautiful factory painted C&O, J3 class 4-8-4 Greenbrier in the display case. I was even more surprised to see the price on the loco. It was priced at $98.98. Now, I didn't fall off the truck yesterday. I asked to see the loco up close so they removed it from the display for me to check it out.

The owner came over and asked me if I liked it. I said yes but that he had it way underpriced. I told him it was a 6-8 hundred loco. I told him it was made by PSC, factory painted and in near mint condition. He said he had two other pieces of brass in the back.

We went in the back and he had another C&O loco, this one was by Custom Brass and unpainted. It is a J2 class 4-8-2. He also had an factroy painted ACL FTA unit. He had the ACL unit priced at $29.95. I asked him to run the unit and it wouldn't run. I told him the $29.95 wasn't worth a non operational unit.

I could tell he wanted to move the brass. He took them in from an estate sale, meaning some guy died and his wife dumped his brass at the LHS! When the owner was in the back finding the other two pieces of brass, I purchased the $6-800.00 C&O loco for the $98.98.

I told the owner I would give him $200.00 for the other two and $98.98 for the 4-8-4. He looked at me and said, "Tom, I thought you said it was worth more than the $98.98 and closer to $600.00". I said, "It was before I bought it for $98.98".

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

And, now for the rest of the story.

I purchased all three pieces of brass for $300.00 plus tax. The unpainted brass C&O loco is worth $325.00, the PSC factory painted brass C&O is worth $725.00 and the brass ACL FTA (Overland brass diesel) is worth $207.00. So, ya'll see I got quite the deal.

I set the factory painted Greenbrier on the track knowing Greg was coming over. He saw it and I said, "yea, that's just a loco I got at the loco hobby shop. I don't think I'll keep it and will sell it on Ebay for around $600.00." Now I'm not saying he almost had an accident in his shorts but I will say I could hear the wheels turning.

He said, "Before you sell it on Ebay, let me think about it." Translation speak is "Before you sell it on Ebay, let me ask the wife if I can buy it." Now, I had him. I told him to box it up and take it home. He was so smitten that he couldn't do it. I told him it was worth $600.00+ (and it actually is worth that) but I'd let him have it for $300.00. $300 is what I paid for all three brass locos.

So, he and Pegi came over that following Saturday and brought me the $300.00. He got a beautiful loco worth alot more than three hundred for three hundred. I broke even on the deal and got $500+ worth of brass for nothing. Isn't this what capitalism is all about? Now it seems he is moaning about the $300. So, the problem is what? See what happens when you help a friend?

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

And now an addendum to the rest of the story!

Let me sum it up in as few words as possible.

Greg is so tight that you can't drive a needle up his rear with a sledge hammer!

And now you all know the Rest of the Story!

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com