SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Hello John, yellow is never an easy color to pull off in a structure build, but you are doing your usual great job. I'm enjoying your build thread very much and picking up some useful tips as well. Thanks.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

S&S RR

Dennis

Thank you for the encouraging words and for following along.  Today, is window installation day. I'm at about 90 percent complete when I took a break to respond to your post.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: nycjeff on January 19, 2021, 10:36:54 AM
Hello John, yellow is never an easy color to pull off in a structure build, but you are doing your usual great job. I'm enjoying your build thread very much and picking up some useful tips as well. Thanks.    Jeff

Jeff

I glad you are enjoying following along on my journey.  Yellow is a tough color, especially with the new phones that like to crank the intensity of the colors.  I like the nail heads but when I added the chalk to dull things down a little they filled with chalk. I don't want to hit the walls with the A&I again so I will probably just live with it.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Looks great so far. That's going to be another large structure.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey John: 

Nice progress so far. I'll be following along.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 19, 2021, 04:22:07 PM
Looks great so far. That's going to be another large structure.

Curt

Thank you for the kind words and for following along - yes it is another large structure.  With the boiler house and the two satellite buildings it's gong to fill the available space on my layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 19, 2021, 05:18:25 PM
Hey John: 

Nice progress so far. I'll be following along.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - I'm not traveling at Karl speed but we are moving along.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  Today, I installed all the window castings in the clapboard walls.  I have the main doors in the front to install and I will be ready for progress pictures before starting the assembly process.
John Siekirk

Jim Donovan

Good Morning John;

Enjoyed a cup of coffee while catching up on this great build project. I love the way you explain each step and the modeling is amazing. Looking forward to following along.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Jim Donovan on January 21, 2021, 09:43:47 AM
Good Morning John;

Enjoyed a cup of coffee while catching up on this great build project. I love the way you explain each step and the modeling is amazing. Looking forward to following along.

Jim D

Jim

Thank you for following along and sharing your coffee break and encouraging words. Please ask if I skip something of interest.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I completed the assembly of the clapboard walls.  After adding all of the window castings, I turned the walls over and added extra glue to the corners of each window and door.  The window shades were also added, I used craft paint for the shades.  I used it heavy, like I would have with floquil and got some cracking as it dried.  I ended up adding two more coats to get rid of the cracks.  Three light coats of paint with acrylics next time.

If everything goes according to the plan, tomorrow, I will start assembling the clapboard walls together.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made progress on one other front with this build, today.  The brick walls made it to the paint booth for a coat of brick red paint. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The red paint will serve only as a primer on the stone at the base of the walls. 
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John.

I'm ready to watch the glory day tomorrow.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision