SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 21, 2021, 10:42:42 PM
Looking good, John.

I'm ready to watch the glory day tomorrow.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you, I should put the first walls together this afternoon. I just completed another batch of aspen trees that are hanging to dry over my layout table.  I will be able to clean up that project in a couple hours and then the area will be dedicated to this build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey John:

It's looking just great so far.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello John, boy that's a lot of windows. Looking forward to the build coming together and then seeing it on your layout. Great job and a very informative build thread. Thank you,   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Getting caught up again John.

Great job on this build, enjoying the thread.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Karl, Jeff, and Tom

Thank you for following along and the words of encouragement.  Today,  the main building started to go together.  I decided to take a picture of each gluing setup to show how I held things in place while the glue dried.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

First, I have a confession to make.  I usually don't read the instructions during this part of the build, but put things together using the pictures.  This is a complex build - so I read the instructions and look Bob likes this part of the build best, too.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is the first two walls going together.  I do a dry fit to make sure I have a good joint. I did do some sanding and filling before I added the glue.  I use lots of weights and angle plates to hold everything square while the glue dries.  Once it is dry.  I take all the weights and holding fixtures away and check the squareness. Only then is it time to go on to add the next wall.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next wall, yes I use a lot of clamps and weights.  I know what happens when you don't. :-[

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In the morning, I will do a complete check of the assembly so far with all the weights and clamps removed. We have lots of walls to add.

I'm going to have to decide when I get this assembled if I want to hit it agin with A&I. The nail heads are there but the chalk really filled them in to the point that they are barely visible. Especially since this build will be 3 to 4 feet from the viewer on the layout. I think a test on the back side of the main building is in order.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

More walls going together, today.  I also added some cross bracing to make the structure more rigid while I'm handling it through the build process.

John Siekirk

deemery

Nice demonstration of the Rockler T-Track table for set-up and gluing.  (Mine has s**t piled on it right now :-) :-) )

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 24, 2021, 02:19:49 PM
Nice demonstration of the Rockler T-Track table for set-up and gluing.  (Mine has s**t piled on it right now :-) :-) )

dave

Dave

If you look over on my build thread you will find that mine gets used in many ways, too. I do like it and recommend it for model building. Things move as the glue dries if you don't have them clamped.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk