SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I almost forgot, I added a couple LED lights to the interior before I closed this part up.  With the foundation casting and the roof casting there would be no way of doing it later, without some fancy drill work that I like to avoid on a finished model. ::)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I started the assembly of the roof structure, today.  First step, cutting out all the pieces from the laser cut hardboard sheet. I also started adding some bracing to the pieces. I'm, like always, adding more than Bob recommends so I will take some photographs when I have this step complete. 
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Comming along great. Colors and foundation look great. Can't wait for more.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 29, 2021, 04:31:19 PM
Hey John:

Comming along great. Colors and foundation look great. Can't wait for more.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along and the kind words. I'm currently building the structure for the roof and will post a batch of pictures when this process is complete.
John Siekirk

madharry

S&S RR

Quote from: madharry on January 30, 2021, 01:00:19 PM
Very nice modelling John.
Mike :)

Mike

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words. I made some progress today.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The roof structure started to go together, today.  The pieces are laser cut out of what I call hard board, which is a composite of sawdust and glue pressed under high pressure. This material requires lots of bracing to have it keep it shape. So 1/8 inch square strip wood is glue to it to make it more rigid.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I glued the strip wood to the main cross pieces.  I then started gluing the pieces together and adding the strip wood bracing as I went.  The following sequence of pictures shows the process I used.

I started in the front corner as Bob suggested in the instructions.

I got this far today and decided to let the glue dry and moved on to another project.  I will continue with the process tomorrow.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looking just great. Keep the pics coming.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Thank you, Karl and Curt.  We are moving along on this one - it's starting to look like a building.
John Siekirk

deemery

I'm very interested to see how Bob designed the mansard construction.  Thanks for the great photos.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Looking great John! Are you thinking of dressing each window, out of curiosity?

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 31, 2021, 09:14:20 AM
I'm very interested to see how Bob designed the mansard construction.  Thanks for the great photos.

dave

Dave

I'll keep taking photos, I'm adding additional bracing but everything else is to the instructions.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 31, 2021, 09:17:29 AM
Looking great John! Are you thinking of dressing each window, out of curiosity?

Craig

I decided not to dress each window - this build will be too far back on the layout for the effort to be worth it. I did do window shades and added some LED lighting to make them visible.
John Siekirk