SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Here are a few more progress photographs from todays construction.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 01, 2021, 08:45:36 AM
Neat looking roof.

Curt

Thank you for following along - yes it is a neat looking roof. This kit is a completely different construction from anything I have built before.  I'm enjoying the build.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 01, 2021, 01:00:16 PM
John,

Very nice build my friend.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouraging words. I have some roof cards to install and then the dormers.  At that point I will be waiting for the markers I ordered for coloring the slate shingle roof.  I'm going to use the slate shingles Bob provides in the kit for this build. The plan is to color them with the markers as he describes in the instructions.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  The last couple of days my progress on this build has been adding bracing to the roof cards and getting all the pieces loose from the laser cut sheets.  I should have something to take a picture of tomorrow as I start adding the roof cards and dormers.  I plan on using the tile roof material Bob supplies with the kit. I may hit a hold when I get to the point where I want to add the shingles. I ordered the special markers Bob suggests to color the tile roof from Dick Blick and I got an email that they have been shipped.  The big question is how long it will take for them to get here with shipping the way it is today.  In the past if I ordered something before noon from them it came the next day, two days at the most. Hopefully those days will return.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Hi John.

When you get those markers, would you be so kind as to tell me what they are?  My only SRM kit is Thorndikes, and it just suggests shades.  I went into the art supply store to get two or three yesterday and they had 40 different shades of grey!  The ones they had were 'Copic' and they came in cool (0-9), natural (0-9), warm (0-9) and tone (0-9).  At least that's what I think the letters (c,n,w & t) stood for.  At $11.95 each (for the old stock - the new ones are $17.99) I don't want to get too many!

Cheers, Mark.

madharry

Mark, I have built several SRMW kits and I have 5 Derwent coloured pencils that I use to colour the shingles. They cost £2 each. I have French Grey 70, Raw Sienna 58, Silver Grey 71, Peat TC18 and Green Moss TC15. They are far cheaper than the ones you are quoting and do the job for me. I used them on my Thorndikes.
Mike

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 06, 2021, 01:41:27 AM
Hi John.

When you get those markers, would you be so kind as to tell me what they are?  My only SRM kit is Thorndikes, and it just suggests shades.  I went into the art supply store to get two or three yesterday and they had 40 different shades of grey!  The ones they had were 'Copic' and they came in cool (0-9), natural (0-9), warm (0-9) and tone (0-9).  At least that's what I think the letters (c,n,w & t) stood for.  At $11.95 each (for the old stock - the new ones are $17.99) I don't want to get too many!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Will do.  The markers that I ordered were $3.05 each from Dick Blick here in the states. They were the ones recommended by Bob in the instructions.  I will take a picture of the page in the instructions and post it.   This is a new process for me so I will post my tests and results.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: madharry on February 06, 2021, 04:52:56 AM
Mark, I have built several SRMW kits and I have 5 Derwent coloured pencils that I use to colour the shingles. They cost £2 each. I have French Grey 70, Raw Sienna 58, Silver Grey 71, Peat TC18 and Green Moss TC15. They are far cheaper than the ones you are quoting and do the job for me. I used them on my Thorndikes.
Mike

Mike

Thank you for the tip - I have a set of the colored pencils and will give them a try. I'm searching for a build thread on your Thorndikes, now.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Mark

Here is what I ordered from Dick Blick.

http://dickblick.com

ItemItem DetailPriceQty[/size]
Subtotal
19901-2761 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 104 WRM GRY 60
In stock and reserved[/size][/size][/font][/color]$3.051$3.0519901-2751 [/size]PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 103 WRM GRY 50
In stock and reserved[/size]$3.051$3.0519901-2741 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 102 WRM GRY 40
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-2731 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 101 WRM GRY 30
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-1191 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 210 OATMEAL
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-2601 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 113 COOL GRY 60
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-2501 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 112 COOL GRY 50
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-2401 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 111 COOL GRY 40
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-2201 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 109 COOL GRY 20
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.0519901-2301 PRSMCLR BRUSH MARKER - 110 COOL GRY 30
[/color]In stock and reserved$3.051$3.05
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Sorry about that post - it didn't look like that in the editor before I posted it.  Below are the pages from the instructions on coloring and installing the slate shingles.  I hope this helps.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This kit was near the end of Bob's kit making career and I suspect the coloring process may have evolved.
John Siekirk