SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Great looking roof. It is perfect for the building.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

That roof is sublime. Amazing it can take that weight too! Great work John.

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on February 07, 2021, 02:13:22 PM
That roof is sublime. Amazing it can take that weight too! Great work John.

Craig

The sand bags are the only weight on the roof - I need them to hold the corners down while the glue dried.
John Siekirk

deemery

Do you apply the shingles directly on these roof panels, or is there another layer between the shingles and the roof panels?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 07, 2021, 08:45:21 PM
Do you apply the shingles directly on these roof panels, or is there another layer between the shingles and the roof panels?

dave

Dave

The shingles go right on the roof panels - in a few areas Bob modeled the roof with the tiles off and had tar paper underneath.  I don't plan on modeling any of the builds with leaky roofs.  This is the crew quarters of a very respectable RR. I have a number of structures that are modeled in the run down look so I want to make this facility look like a fairly recent rehab of an old mill into a crew quarters.

Followup: I see that some modelers glue the slate shingles to the template and then to the roof cards. Stay tuned on this one - I have to do some experimenting.  First I have to get my markers.  The tracking has said tomorrow on the delivery date for 4 days now. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  My markers arrived this afternoon - it's time to get back to work on this build.
John Siekirk

deemery

Particularly with pre-cut roof panels, I would think it's better to do the shingling before gluing the panels together.  Trimming the shingles is a pain in either case  :(

On my switcher shed, I printed shingle guidelines onto paper, and glued that paper to the subroof.  It would have been Much Better to use transfer tape, i got some bubbles and loose sections.  And I should have cut the white paper guidelines short, so I didn't have to worry about white lines showing through the bottom row of shingles. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

tom.boyd.125

John,
I prefer to use the narrow side of the markers...get less color bleed over to the next slate shingle on the roof.
Did use transfer tape on the template form in the kit to apply them...also cut a small card to get the spacing right even between the dormers...used several fresh single edge razor blades on that kit...
If you use the cool grey markers 20-30-40-50 percent...the slate will look more easy to the eye
Did that for the OV Hooker build here since the building is dark red...see photo with those 6 dormers.
If you use the warm markers 20-30-40-50 percent etc,...the slate will look darker.
Did that for the Tucker and Cook here because the clapboards were white and needed the roof to pop a little more....compare photos
Also since I am in the process of putting on the roof caps shingle strips for the peaks and valleys for both builds...I cut them much narrower then others do.
Use the same material on the ends of the slate shingles,save that stuff, cut them into narrow pieces, score them with a razor blade on the back side and bend them into a V.
The model looks much better with the narrow strips ... the wide ones just look wrong on the roofs....
Hope this information helps your decision...Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

John,

This build is coming along nicely. I've enjoyed following along.

My Prismacolor markers are still working nicely but I do like the idea of placing them in zip lock bags, just in case of course.  8)

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 09, 2021, 03:58:31 PM
Particularly with pre-cut roof panels, I would think it's better to do the shingling before gluing the panels together.  Trimming the shingles is a pain in either case  :(

On my switcher shed, I printed shingle guidelines onto paper, and glued that paper to the subroof.  It would have been Much Better to use transfer tape, i got some bubbles and loose sections.  And I should have cut the white paper guidelines short, so I didn't have to worry about white lines showing through the bottom row of shingles. 

dave

Dave

Thank you for following along and the advice on the shingling. I'm in the process of deciding how I'm going to proceed.  I have a couple tests that I want to do but I think I will be using the process Bob recommends in the instructions. I have been studying Jaime's build thread - it is a great reference. I will take pictures and we will see where this takes us.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 09, 2021, 04:42:06 PM
John,
I prefer to use the narrow side of the markers...get less color bleed over to the next slate shingle on the roof.
Did use transfer tape on the template form in the kit to apply them...also cut a small card to get the spacing right even between the dormers...used several fresh single edge razor blades on that kit...
If you use the cool grey markers 20-30-40-50 percent...the slate will look more easy to the eye
Did that for the OV Hooker build here since the building is dark red...see photo with those 6 dormers.
If you use the warm markers 20-30-40-50 percent etc,...the slate will look darker.
Did that for the Tucker and Cook here because the clapboards were white and needed the roof to pop a little more....compare photos
Also since I am in the process of putting on the roof caps shingle strips for the peaks and valleys for both builds...I cut them much narrower then others do.
Use the same material on the ends of the slate shingles,save that stuff, cut them into narrow pieces, score them with a razor blade on the back side and bend them into a V.
The model looks much better with the narrow strips ... the wide ones just look wrong on the roofs....
Hope this information helps your decision...Tommy

Tommy

Thank you so much for the helpful hints on the slate roof. Your roofs look great so I will be incorporating your advice into my build. I think the markers are going to see some action, tomorrow morning.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 09, 2021, 05:27:22 PM
John,

This build is coming along nicely. I've enjoyed following along.

My Prismacolor markers are still working nicely but I do like the idea of placing them in zip lock bags, just in case of course.  8)

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for following along and the encouraging comments. I already have a zip lock bag to store my new investment.  I have a number of Bob's kits to build and I'm sure they will get used.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Speaking of my investment.  Here is the selection of markers that arrived in todays mail.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The last step before the shingles is the addition of the dormers which is pictured in these three photographs. 

If you take a look at Jaimie's build thread you will notice that he commented on how difficult it was to paint the laser cut chipboard.  I had the same problem - I used a primer and then proceeded to paint the finish color using the same acrylic craft paint that I used on the clapboard.  The first coat just disappeared and it took an additional 4 coats to get the color to match the clapboard siding.  The material just soaks up the paint. You will notice that I did some experimenting on the roof cards for future builds.  It does look like a messy paint job on the upper trim until I cover up my tests with the shingles.

John Siekirk