SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I got off to a good start on the slate shingles, today. First, I would like to thank everyone that sent me emails and posted tips on applying these shingles. I started to list the names and though - I'm going to forget some so - you guys know who you are and thank you - this is what the forum is all about.

I took this picture of my workbench at the start of the day.  Tommy's emails and all the other tips printed out and ready for reference.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

This picture shows the first few steps. 

First, I cut the edge material from the sheet with my new ruler that has a slit for the razor blade. It really worked well. The scrap material has been stored away for use on the corners and in the valleys of the roof.

Second, I used the warm 50 percent marker and colored about 1/3 of the sheet.  Like Tommy I used two coats about an hour apart.  The marker did lighten as it dried and it looks better with two coats.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then separated the strips of tile shingles into the light and dark ones.

Transfer tape was added to the template card and the shingles were applied directly to the template.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then cut out the section of roofing material - at this point I felt more comfortable using scissors - so that's what I did to cut the roofing into the size need for each section.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Once I add the roof section cut to just the right size. I added glue to the roof card using a frog hair applicator just like I would for and roofing material. Frog hair is what we called the plastic head on the applicator in the auto industry.  It is used to transfer sheet metal panels in dies and in automation equipment so you don't damage it. And it works great for applying glue to roof cards.  Much better than your finger - used by some modelers. Some of us can resist using our fingers for other things when we have glue on them. ;)  The glue I'm using is my go to glue, know, Titebond III.  I think Elliot should get a credit here - I believe he is the one that got a lot of us using it.  I saw that Jaime gave him credit for it in his thread.

Close-up of the Frog hair.  It is made of silicone rubber and as soon as the glue dries on it you can just pop it off and the applicator is as good as new. Doesn't work that way with your fingers. Once the glue dries you can't get into your stupid smart phone without typing in the code.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The gluing process.

1) Mark and cut the roof section to size.

2) A dry fit check.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Work your way across the structure until you run out of roof material, weights, or roof sections.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I should have more to show tomorrow.  In looking at these pictures I should mention that I haven't cleaned off the brick faces on the foundation, yet.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

That is really looking just beautiful. The colors look just great.

Karl

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on February 11, 2021, 01:10:28 AM
Hey John:

That is really looking just beautiful. The colors look just great.

Karl

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the encouraging words.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision