Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 04, 2021, 08:30:40 PM
I'm in awe of this build, wow. I need to shut my mouth and stop drooling. Just a fantastic build. I never realized Bandit's Roost was that size.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom.  Yes, this is a fairly large kit.  Just starting the diorama portion.

Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on April 05, 2021, 11:47:43 AM
Mark,
Your build is looking fantastic !
Thanks for sharing the updates.
Tommy

Thanks Tommy, this one is keeping my busy, that's for sure.  Mark

craftsmankits

Here's a shot of Vallon paint after adding an awning over the the length of the short wall, and adding a Bar Mills cellar entry along the back wall.

craftsmankits

This is the beginning of the diorama portion, with the buildings in roughly the areas they will occupy.  Disregard the building on the left where the water will be.

craftsmankits

This next shot is from the side.  I'm using some New England Brownstone dry stacked stone walls for the area underneath the boiler house as a foundation.  I may throw in some I beams to help support those walls.  I'm not building in a water area between the Harrison and Rochelle building and the annex as Doug had done with his build.  I find the area too small.  Hats off to Doug for pulling that off.  That's a pretty tight space.

craftsmankits

Next up, the foundations for the two main structures.  I used Mig Acrylic Concrete for the walls, and ended up painting over the walls with Hunterline Cement Weathering Mix, then stippled on some ArtMinds Chalk Paint Cocoon with a sponge.

craftsmankits

The next image shows the preliminary placement of the sidewalks.

craftsmankits

Maybe I went about this backwards, but I laid down some sculptamold where the sidewalks will be placed.

craftsmankits

I placed the sidewalk portions into place, then forced them up with a bit more sculptamold using a thin metal spatula so they would sit firmly along the bottom of the building.  I used Bar Mills sidewalks, not the ones supplied with the kit.  I worried the sidewalks might deform from the water used in making the sculptamold, but didn't have any problems.  Thankfully, they held firmly in place.

craftsmankits

This is the opposite side of the building.  I wanted to add a rock feature leading down to the gas station.  This is the preliminary placement.

craftsmankits

Next, I carved a 'bathtub' to hold the rock, and glued it in place with some formula 560 canopy glue.

craftsmankits

I added sculptamold along the building from end to end.  My plan is to do as much scenery, and placement of details before placing this portion onto the main diorama.  The two main structures are too close together for me to get in-between them.  Since I use the same scenery materials and techniques, I shouldn't have any trouble in finishing up the touch up portions.

craftsmankits

I later laid down the portion under the stable area.

craftsmankits

Next, I laid down some Woodland Scenics Earth Undercoat after letting the sculptamold set up overnight.

craftsmankits

Lastly, I added some soil.  I take my soil from baseball diamonds.  I pay taxes, plenty of them, so I figure a few pounds of soil won't hurt anybody.  I sift the soil, and while it's light in color, most layout areas can be kind of dark, so I prefer the soil to be a little light.  I applied some details and scenic material.  The stacked drums come from a South River Model Works kit.  This is the first addition of details and scenic material.  Much to go, plus staining the rock feature.  I'm not sure what to do with that open overhang between the yellow and red buildings.  May place in some racks for wood, or lengths of pipe.  Still mulling that over.  That about wraps it up for today.