Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

This is a shot of the retaining wall underneath the boiler house to Harrison and Rochelle.  I used a New England Brownstone casting.  I also added a portion of insulation underneath the boiler house to facilitate the application of sculptamold.  This is the test fit phase.

craftsmankits

Nest is a picture of failure.  This is the look at the retaining wall with the Rembrandt soft pastels added, and my misguided use of dulcote to seal the colors in place.  As you can see, it looks like frosted grey granite.  Not what I was looking for.  The natural tones from the Rembrandt pastels was wiped away.  Should've known better.  You can still see some muted tones, but nothing like it was.

craftsmankits

Lastly, this is the retaining wall with a few Rembrandt pastels added, and some various light acrylic washes.  It's more in line with what I wanted.  Much of this work is going to be covered by rock, and scenery, but you get an idea of what I was trying to accomplish.  I also filled the area between the retaining wall and the boiler house with sculptamold, and added Woodland Scenics Earth Undercoat.  I don't wait around, I usually color the sculptamold the same day.  I allow enough time for the sculptamold to set up, then hit it.  No use in waiting around.  Sometimes, I'll add my dirt the same day as well, depending upon how wet the whole thing 'feels'.  I usually have all this thought out in advance anyway.

craftsmankits

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on May 02, 2021, 10:32:42 PM
Really nice to watch you work on your scenery, Mark.  Its coming together nicely.

Cheers, Mark.

From one Mark to another, Thanks.  I'm enjoying this project.  Many challenges ahead.

ReadingBob

Mark,

In that last picture the retaining wall colors really look spot on.  Well done!   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Mark

I just got caught up with your build thread.  Your build looks great and thank you for sharing it with us. I picked up some new techniques I want to try. 

As for the missing parts, it happens. If you don't get a favorable response from the kit manufacture - I like most people on this forum, have a bunch of kits on the shelf that I'm hoping to live long enough to build.  If you run into a missing part, there is one of us that has the same kit on the shelf and we can make a template for you.  For cast parts there are molds floating around from similar issues.  Especially, from the kit manufactures that have retired.  Just ask for help.

As Bob said, the stone work looks great.  I have never had any luck with sealing chalk without destroying the color.  I always do the finishing touches and put them where they don't get touched, again.  Sometimes that means waiting to do that step last.

A few years back I tried a bunch of different products that I bought from Dick Blick for setting pastel chalks. I wasn't happy with the results. I asked a professional artists what to use and was told put a piece of glass over the work piece and frame it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

I agree with Bob, the rock coloring is excellent.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Very nice rock coloring. Looks great to me.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

craftsmankits

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 03, 2021, 08:00:08 AM
Mark,

In that last picture the retaining wall colors really look spot on.  Well done!   ;)

Thanks Bob, unfortunately, a lot of it is going to be covered up.

Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: S&S RR on May 03, 2021, 11:54:14 AM
Mark

I just got caught up with your build thread.  Your build looks great and thank you for sharing it with us. I picked up some new techniques I want to try. 

As for the missing parts, it happens. If you don't get a favorable response from the kit manufacture - I like most people on this forum, have a bunch of kits on the shelf that I'm hoping to live long enough to build.  If you run into a missing part, there is one of us that has the same kit on the shelf and we can make a template for you.  For cast parts there are molds floating around from similar issues.  Especially, from the kit manufactures that have retired.  Just ask for help.

As Bob said, the stone work looks great.  I have never had any luck with sealing chalk without destroying the color.  I always do the finishing touches and put them where they don't get touched, again.  Sometimes that means waiting to do that step last.

A few years back I tried a bunch of different products that I bought from Dick Blick for setting pastel chalks. I wasn't happy with the results. I asked a professional artists what to use and was told put a piece of glass over the work piece and frame it.

Thanks John for you advice.  Sometimes I forget the obvious, and repeat the same mistake in trying to seal the chalks.  I agree with you, I usually apply the most sensitive weathering/coloring as my final steps.

Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 04, 2021, 07:34:47 AM
I agree with Bob, the rock coloring is excellent.....well done.  8)

Thanks Greg.  Much of it will be lost.  Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 04, 2021, 02:43:39 PM
Very nice rock coloring. Looks great to me.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom.  I've been going back to your old posts, thanks for all the efforts you put forth in sharing your layout.  I'm learning this stuff takes some time to do.

Mark

craftsmankits

Okay, I'm back.  Two lawns to take care of, all this Summer stuff going on, yet I've been busy on the sea walls for Bandit's Roost.  By far, the largest rock project of my modeling career.  This is the beginning of the rock wall.  I use the various rock molds from Woodland Scenics, Sterling Models, and another source that escapes me.  I apply them with a hot glue gun.  The last two pictures illustrate the area between the rocks having been filled in, and sculpted together.  Not finished at this point, as you can still see some gaps, but coming together all the same.

craftsmankits

This next shot is of the sidewalks at Callahan Machining being removed.  They sank, so I used a wide Xacto blade to remove them, then reinstall them flush to the underside of the building.  I forgot to take pictures of the two buildings being installed, and the road, onto the base.  You can see Callahan, and road portion portion installed, and brought together with sculptamold. 

craftsmankits

This next shot shows the two buildings installed, as I begin to color the sculptamold between them.  This is the point where I remembered to take a picture.  You can see where I started to apply the undercoat. I added scenery to the small area where the extension attaches to Harrison and Rochelle before I put the buildings in place.