FSM tribute build

Started by nycjeff, January 07, 2021, 11:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Very nice work! This will make a great addition to your layout. I really like the over the tracks structures that George has on the F&SM. I need to find the right place for one on my layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Bernd

Nice work Jeff.

Great site to learn things like this project.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Jeff.

Cheers, Mark.

nycjeff

Quote from: Janbouli on January 10, 2021, 06:28:18 AM
Looking great Jeff , nice subtle colors and weathering.

Hello Jan, thank you, I've always liked the two tone grey look of the New York Central. It just looks railroad to me

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 10, 2021, 09:12:39 AM
Beautiful modeling Jeff. I couldn't figure out what you were building until I saw the 1:1 photo yesterday. A unique structure that will look great on your layout.

Hey Curt, thanks for checking in. The credit for a unique structure all belongs to George, I just tried to do him justice.

Quote from: deemery on January 10, 2021, 09:22:39 AM
When I saw the framing in white styrene, I was a bit 'suspicious' that it was oversized.  Now that I see it painted, it looks great.  The house on top came out nicely, too.

dave

Hello Dave, I just used what I had in my stash and it seemed to work out alright. Thanks for the nice words

Quote from: S&S RR on January 10, 2021, 09:33:00 AM
Very nice work! This will make a great addition to your layout. I really like the over the tracks structures that George has on the F&SM. I need to find the right place for one on my layout.

Hello John, Thank you for the compliments. The credit for this build goes to you for the excellent picture thread on the FSM that you have put so much time and effort into, and of course George.

Quote from: Bernd on January 10, 2021, 10:16:05 AM
Nice work Jeff.

Great site to learn things like this project.

Bernd

Hey Bernd, I agree with you, since I began looking at the forum I have picked up many things that I now use in my modeling. It's a great group.

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 10, 2021, 01:58:24 PM
Looking good, Jeff.

Cheers, Mark.

Hello Mark, thanks for looking in and for the nice comment

Continuing on... a few pictures of the completed build on my workbench

As mentioned before, the railings are from a Central Valley assorted fence and railing pack that is quite reasonably priced and well worth the money. The figure is an unpainted Prieser and I added a few misc. castings from my stash.

These are the various scale drawings that I used for this build. The use of your own drawings makes the scratch-building process much easier and it's not that hard to do. More in a minute
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

I'm going to finish up this build thread with a few pictures of the structure on my layout.

As I mentioned before, the bridge spans the arrival and departure tracks on my lower level yard area. The track immediately above the bridge leads to a 3 track stub end classification yard and the track below the bridge is a yard run-a-round track that also leads to the engine service facility. The track at the top of the picture is the approach track to my helix which leads to the second level of my layout. I had a great time with this scratch-build and I thank everyone who checked in and posted comments.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Keep It Rusty

Excellent work, Jeff. Came out brilliantly.

When the time comes, I'm gonna follow your lead and build my own!

Zephyrus52246

That turned out nicely.  Interesting structure.

Jeff

GPdemayo

Great job Jeff.....the structure looks right at home on the layout.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

I blinked and missed this one.  Nice work Jeff!  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Bernd

That structure turned out very nice.

You made the process look so easy.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

nycjeff

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 10, 2021, 04:05:01 PM
Excellent work, Jeff. Came out brilliantly.

When the time comes, I'm gonna follow your lead and build my own!

Hello Craig, thank you for the nice compliment. I know that you will do a great job when you decide to build yours.

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 10, 2021, 08:35:56 PM
That turned out nicely.  Interesting structure.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, thank you. The credit for the interesting part goes to George and the FSM, I only tried to copy his great work

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 11, 2021, 08:44:33 AM
Great job Jeff.....the structure looks right at home on the layout.  8)

Hello Greg, thank you, I think it looks right at home as well. I liked this structure when I first saw the picture on John's wonderful FSM picture thread

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 11, 2021, 08:48:11 AM
I blinked and missed this one.  Nice work Jeff!  :D

Thank you Bob, I've wanted to build this one for a while and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Quote from: Bernd on January 11, 2021, 10:03:42 AM
That structure turned out very nice.

You made the process look so easy.

Bernd

Hello Bernd, thank you. I think that prior kit building and some scratch-building helped me, especially doing the Campbell kit I recently finished. Planning the build and drawing your own templates really helps with the process.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

NKP768

nycjeff

Quote from: NKP768 on January 11, 2021, 01:13:38 PM
Nice job Jeff

Doug

Hello Doug, thank you for the kind words, I had a lot of fun building this one.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona