Clearfield Cheese Clinton Mo

Started by Oldguy, April 01, 2021, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

What I like about Monster Model Works block and brick sheets are his corners.  Just pay attention to the sheet orientation and the B at the bottom of the corner and the joint wont be that noticeable.

I ordered several different sizes of windows to see what would work/look the best besides some different dock doors.   The larger windows just looked a bit big and I compared them to some slightly smaller windows in hand and compared the two.  Son of a  . . . . .  They are the same freakin' window,  Welp, Grant Line (the black units) measure the overall exterior dimension while the Tichy measures the window itself or interior dimensions.  Thus a Grandt 42x72 is the same window as a Tichy 38x68.

Now I could convert a cased wood window to a masonry unit, but I'll just choose from what I got.  I may hate myself later, but I need to move along.  To determine what looks the best, I needed to cut out for the recessed lower entry.  Just make sure that it got sized to receive the corner pieces.  The 8/8 seem to be a bit big, so I'll go with the 6/6.  The pencil lines on the left are where the enclosed exterior steps will go.  That and there will be a canopy across the front.

Now, let's see how long my Army Painter white spray paint take to get here.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The block sheet is a full 1/8" thick basswood(?), so one has to be a bit of careful to get openings correct.  Once laid out, I use light pencil lines to layout the openings.  I then make little circles in the corners as a locate point and drill them out close to the edges as I dare.  Read - where ever the drill bit decides to make a hole with in the lines.  Then I take an X0Acto hole saw and connect the dots.  I then choose whichever side the saw got the closest to as my vertical base line.  These windows span horizontal joint line to joint line, so that really helps.  Then, carefully crave and file one side first and ensure that it is as straight as possible, then move to the other side and do the same until the width is just slightly tight on the window frame.  Then do the same on the top and bottoms, but as these are with the grain, they are much easier.  When they get installed, I'll need to find a spacer for to center the depth in the wall.

The left side pencil line is for the exterior staircase.  This will be made out of clapboard siding.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Bob.

Nice, neat window fitting!

Cheers, Mark.

EricQuebec

Good start on this one.
I will follow.
Eric

Oldguy

Been slow going.  Messing things up will slow progress.

I really wanted to use some Rail Scale Models doors on this one.  I did a bit of testing and chose one.  This was a test for the door going upstairs.  Fit better than I thought.  NO winder as this part was way off.  Matter of fact the entire staircase was wrong.  So It had to be rebuilt.  I forgot to take a picture of it as it was drying after a A&I bath.

I also built a foundation out of 0.06" plastic strips.  But it maybe off as well.

Seems at this point I needed just to get the walls together.  First, I needed to a some 4x8 window lintels.  With that done, it was a matter of rigging some Lego corners to keep three of the walls square.  There will be two inner wall braces made of 3/16" foam core.  I left one out for now as I still need to add the first floor entry inset.

The left wall is a bit wonky as the front wall is longer than the back wall.  The back wall arch results in the left wall being taller in back than in the front.

Once this all dries, I can spray them with gray primer and once that dries, I 'll paint them white.  The doors and window are red, so they'll have to be added after the walls are done.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

continuing to plod along.
I had, out of habit, spray painted some construction paper black for the tar paper roof.  Completely forgetting that it all gets painted white.  The monitor roof has clear acrylic sides and ends so the side panels that contain the windows have to be painted in two steps.  First I did white and when dried, taped it all except for the window mullions.  These and the frames get a blood red.  I really didn't pay that much attention to the window strips from the kit.  Come to find out, they are not adhesive backed.  So everything has to be glued together.  I started with end frames and once got that figured out as to placement options, did the side window panels.  I did the first and last frames, let them sit for a bit and then used a ruler to ensure all the rest would line up.

I must say that I really like the How Tichy includes laser cut acetate for the windows.  What a time save.  They also include some pre-cut light brown material for shades.  But, they are only half height, so have a shade more than half-way down is problematic. 

I started the first coat of white paint.  Just used the typical tube acrylic paint applied with a sponge.  I did do a second coat and it looks a lot better. 

Note to self - Take more photos.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

WigWag Workshop

The brick looks amazing Bob! Really enjoying this build.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Coming along very nicely.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello Bob, what a nice looking building, I'm looking forward to the roof going on and what techniques you use to do it.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Oldguy

Quote from: nycjeff on April 20, 2021, 05:16:45 PM
Hello Bob, what a nice looking building, I'm looking forward to the roof going on and what techniques you use to do it.   Jeff
You and me both.  ;D
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I got the windows installed.  I found that I needed to make a depth gauge for the windows in an attempt to get them at an even depth.  It was just a matter of cutting up some popsicle sticks.

Then I added some roof cards for the employee staircase.  This bit will have rolled roofing.  After fitting, I added lines for the roofing material. 

I had purchased ten 1/16" basswood sheets several weeks back and I'll be damned if I can find the other nine.  I could have used cardboard for the main roof, using some intermediate bracing, but I hate cardboard for large spans or expanses.  So, my plan is to use the basswood.  Now, this product doesn't want to bend, so I'll cut it into strips.  In a quick test fit and I made a major error.  I had inset the monitor roof, just a bit.  In all honesty, I wanted the block wall to go up to the top of the monitor roof, but my block sheets aren't that tall.  Perhaps in hindsight, I could have added a bunch of additional rows, but that ship has sailed some time ago.  So, the inset made sense at the time, but I neglected to take into account the thickness of the roof deck sheets.  Rookie mistake.  So I had to add another row anyway to get that monitor piece raised about 8 scale inches.  Things probably could have gone better if I actually made up a cross section instead of working off a sketch.  Sigh.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Welp, change of plans.  It seems that I'll have to use cardboard for the roof deck after all.  I managed to get a couple of pieces cut from a large sheet that I had on hand.  I marked it for the rolled roofing and pre-coiled it.  I will need to add some purlins to help support the roof deck and keep the bow.  The first two border the monitor piece and I'll add two or three more on each side.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Walls and structure look just great. Can't wait for more.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello Bob, I'm starting to see what your plans are for the roof. Good luck, I'm sure that you will do your usual great job.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Oldguy

I wound up spacing 1/8" square material 4 scale feet apart for the purlins.  I used some Styrogoo to hold them to the foam core.  Seemed to work decently.

So here is what the roof should look like when installed.
I'll need to play with the construction paper for the rolled roofing.  The prototype had painted the roofing white.  Since I am running low, or possibly out of black, I'll nee to do some testing on other colors to see what they look like when painted white.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond