Proxxon KS 115

Started by Oldguy, April 21, 2021, 10:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

I found that I needed a tiny table saw for scratchbuilding.  It seems that there wasn't a lot out there and I didn't anything fancy.  So after looking around, I decided on the Proxxon KS115.
I have found that ripping material was a pain.  The rip fence and the blade are not parallel.  It binds up when the material gets above the spindle.  It works better when the cut gets to the splitter. 

I have filed the end of the knob bolt and the insides of the rip fence hoping to improve it's squareness (?) to the table edge.  Meh. 

Anyone else have this problem?  And if so, how did you fix it.  The blade is so small trying to see if the motor assembly is square is problematic.  And I don't see any adjustment.  Maybe I'll just have to stick with the carbide blade as it is thicker.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

Check the instructions.  I bet there are instructions on how to move the blade to be parallel to the fence. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Janbouli

Wish you had asked here before you bought it , I have one myself KS 230 , I think it's the same one, and from the first use of it on I have wanted to sell it and buy the more expensive Proxxon FET. I will after I have bought a lasercutter and a 3D printer , oh wait maybe after the lasercutter I won't need a mini tablesaw anymore.
I love photo's, don't we all.

deemery

It looks to me like adjusting screws #9 will change the angle of the blade.  Tighten one and loosen the other.  You'll need a good square to start this process.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on April 22, 2021, 04:43:33 PM
It looks to me like adjusting screws #9 will change the angle of the blade.  Tighten one and loosen the other.  You'll need a good square to start this process.

dave
Hmmm, I looked at that, but it appears just to hold the belt section to the motor section.  I did find that the filing on the rip fence seemed to have made a little difference.  The blade is another matter.  I replaced the 100 tooth blade with the carbide tip blade and the kerf may help.  I don't think that there is an actual adjustment.  It is off only by a thou or two.

But thanks for the thoughts.   I tried to remove the cast top, but there are some additional screws still holding the motor assembly on to it.  I'll just live with it for now and take it apart in a week or so.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Bernd

I went and took a look at the KS115. The picture shows why you are having a problem with that fence. Even in their product guide you can see that the fence is not even square with the table. I'd use a square to square up a piece of wood as a fence and clamp it to the table.

I watched their video and had to cringe at the way they were running the pieces through the saw. Apparently they never watched Norm Abramas on The Yankee Workshop. You never use a fence as a stop for cutting off lengths of wood.

I did some searching on the net and didn't find anything I'd buy at present.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Oldguy

Quote from: Janbouli on April 22, 2021, 04:31:40 PM
Wish you had asked here before you bought it , I have one myself KS 230 , I think it's the same one, and from the first use of it on I have wanted to sell it and buy the more expensive Proxxon FET. I will after I have bought a lasercutter and a 3D printer , oh wait maybe after the lasercutter I won't need a mini tablesaw anymore.
Me too now.  I did a search here and nothing of concern was returned.  So I went with the cheaper option.  It's German so it has to be good.  Right?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: Bernd on April 23, 2021, 09:56:06 AM
I went and took a look at the KS115. The picture shows why you are having a problem with that fence. Even in their product guide you can see that the fence is not even square with the table. I'd use a square to square up a piece of wood as a fence and clamp it to the table.

I watched their video and had to cringe at the way they were running the pieces through the saw. Apparently they never watched Norm Abramas on The Yankee Workshop. You never use a fence as a stop for cutting off lengths of wood.

I did some searching on the net and didn't find anything I'd buy at present.

Bernd
I didn't have the looky lou option.  Not sure if that would made a difference though.  I eventually used a 2" machinist square and found the fence to be off.  The filing helped quite a bit, but I'll continue the use of the square as a check.

Machines such as this scare me a bit.  Which is a good thing.  I made up some mini-push sticks out of wood craft sticks.  They work surprisingly well.  And yes, one uses the miter gauge or the fence, never both at the same time. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

sdrees

I had the same problem with the one I bought. The fence was not square when tightened so a little bit of filing in the end of the thumb screw fixed it.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Janbouli

Quote from: Oldguy on April 23, 2021, 10:18:25 AM
Quote from: Janbouli on April 22, 2021, 04:31:40 PM
Me too now.  I did a search here and nothing of concern was returned.  So I went with the cheaper option.  It's German so it has to be good.  Right?

I find that this is the only one of my Proxxon tools that doesn't fit the "German quality" statement . I'm having no problem with not being square , but problems with the motor not being strong enough , I use it only for the thinnest materials.
I love photo's, don't we all.