New Work Bench / Desk for me!

Started by Rail and Tie, May 22, 2021, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail and Tie

Here is my new work bench I build a few weeks back. So far it is great!

It is built from a 36" hollow core door and the old side panel from my old desk. Then I added some left over drawer faces and cupboard doors for the back frame. The base is an electric powered sit/stand frame (3 legs). I can raise and lower the desk at the touch of a button from 28" all the way up to 5 feet!  With growing back and knee problems, this thing is a god send!  Now I can bring the model to me instead of hunching over the desk and always dropping things on the floor!

The Sorters are all custom laser cut to fit my personal needs like the xacto knife and paintbrush holder. This was inspired because of our cat Peanut. He likes to join me on my desk quite often and I was worried about him getting cut by my blades all over my desk. These are now recessed a bit into the stand and out of harms way.

I pop rivited the aluminum tubes together with some corner mending brackets and set 3 2 foot x 2 foot LED troffers on top (5000 lumins each, 5000K)  This casts zero shadows on my work and is easy on the eyes. The troffers were $120 for 5 units so the other two will go on the side table above the paint booth.

I bought 11 - 2 drawer units from ikea on sale for $8 each (Godmorgon) and also the three white metal and cork letter trays for storing work in progress.

Also, the black and white thingy with the cord in the 3rd picture is a test tube stirrer. Fantastic for mixing paints. No more shaking for 20 minutes to get that 4 year old paint going again. A few seconds on this and things are mixed again!

I have yet to set up my soldering station and microscope on the right side of the desk where the last to Godmorgon drawers are (around the vices) and add my microscope, but am pretty happy with the layout and organization.  Joanna has a bet on about how long it will stay organized, but we will try!

I can't speak highly enough about the sit stand thing. I should have done this years ago. Especially if you are spending lots of time at the modeling bench!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Keep It Rusty

A work station to die for.

Or live for.

Or live longer for...

LOVE that little garage kit you've sat there too.

Nice stuff, Darryl 👍🏻

Janbouli

Looks great , I love the drawers being transparent , no need for labels.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

Nice view out the windows, too!  I have one of those "1 handed paper towel rollers", they work great!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Mark Dalrymple

Its a real beauty!

I'm sure I couldn't find anything in a work station this tidy!

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

A wonderful view from a wonderful work station, play area. My work bench looked that clean on the first day I set it up.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

MartyO

I would pay to have that type of light at the bench. Sweet!
Marty

GPdemayo

Great work area with a terrific view..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

My workbench has never looked that organized or clean.   :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Darryl:

Very nice. Wish I was that organized.

Karl

Rail and Tie

Thanks folks.  I really like the sit/stand thing. worth every back saving penny!  I have not lost a single small part to the catacombs of the carpet since building this desk. Now I bring the work surface up to the right height to rest my arms comfortable on the desk and parts dont bounce all the way across the desk anymore...

The view is certainly the best part of working at this studio station Dave!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com