North American Tram Layout

Started by madharry, June 01, 2021, 12:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

It seems like an age since I have done any serious modelling.  Maybe three months and counting.........I have decided to complete a little layout that has taken a long time evolving. It will be a home layout rather than for exhibitions. Its size is 12 foot in length by 2 foot wide. This means it does not go into Mrs C's estate car and we would have to hire a van to transport it. The design is simple. It is port city with lots of structures (which are the stars) with a dogbone of track and a passing/holding siding. Controlled by DCC with just two turnouts. The five trams comprise of two Bachmann Peter Witt, one Bachmann Birney, one sound-equipped Con-Cor DC Railbus and one sound-equipped Bowser Postwar PCC. Behind the city is an elevated track on DC which features a Lifelike Budd RDC which is on a time-delay shuttle control. All the structures are already made and I will need suggestions on the best placement of each and every one. I am looking forward to getting started. I am toying with the idea of catenary for the trams. It will be non-working but I have a stock of British Dapol railway plant which I would like to experiment with. I do not have any idea where the port city is located so hopefully I will not be pulled up for too many liberties being taken...................The layout will reside in one of my two new train rooms. I plan to make several different layouts rather than just one as there will another 48 foot of linear length to fit them in. The other room is likely to feature just one medium size layout - 32 foot by 12 foot. But I am getting ahead of myself......................

Mike

GPdemayo

Sounds interesting Mike.....any rough sketches of the track plan?  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

Glad to see you picking up building again Mike.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Mike

Great to hear that you are getting started on a new project - it sounds great. And it's okay to get ahead of yourself - it's part of the hobby. I'm looking forward to your reports on progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

glad to have you back.

Karl

madharry

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 01, 2021, 01:53:11 PM
Sounds interesting Mike.....any rough sketches of the track plan?  8)
Thanks Greg, here is the plan. The red line is the tram line. The blue line is the elevated track for the shuttle. Now all I have to do is fit in a few buildings.............
Mike

madharry

Thanks for your support Jan, John and Karl.
Mike :)

GPdemayo

Looks good Mike.....looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

ReadingBob

Looking forward to following along with your adventure Mike!  :)  Should be a lot of fun.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

madharry

Thanks Greg, Karl and Bob..............
Work in progress trying to figure out how to use the structures...............
Mike

ACL1504

Mike,

Late to your party but I'm here at last. Looking wonderful as usual.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

That's a bunch of good looking structures Mike.....so many choices, it will be fun watching this come together.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

madharry

Thanks Tom and Greg for your kind remarks.
I have managed to get the shuttle working. I'm using a Bachmann sound equipped loco with a milk car. It is on a 30 second delay and travels along the elevated line before it brakes to a halt. Once the buildings hide its full presence it will be a great feature.
Mike

madharry

Just a few pictures of planning the best use of some of the structures. Several of the stores already have interiors and I intend installing more with hopefully lights as well.I think I need to have some height behind the buildings as the scene looks too flat at the moment.
Mike