Laser-Art Structures DuBois Store

Started by Oldguy, June 09, 2021, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Interiors (and the whole structure) look great.  Hope the little people fit in the chairs/booths without much "surgery".

Jeff

Oldguy

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 09, 2021, 09:19:11 PM
Bob - Preiser do bulk packs of unpainted figures.  120 seated figures (as an example) for around 25c each.  There are several packs to choose from - and they are very well formed.  Seems a good alternative if you are repainting painted ones.

Cheers, Mark.

I had gone to Preiser's site to see what they made and many seem to be discontinued.  A search of various retailers sites also showed a lot of their bulk packs as being discontinued.  I have a  hundred or so standing figures, but few seated.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Quote from: Oldguy on July 09, 2021, 08:23:10 PM
Quote from: Janbouli on July 09, 2021, 06:55:25 PM
Interior looks great , the N-scale version is quite different.

Hmm, maybe limits of the laser?  Mine doesn't have any table settings.  Or was this something you added?  Folded napkins, candles, condiment holder all look good.  Might have to see about doing the napkin thing.

The dining interior is resin cast, just some paint needed .
I love photo's, don't we all.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI had gone to Preiser's site to see what they made and many seem to be discontinued.  A search of various retailers sites also showed a lot of their bulk packs as being discontinued.  I have a  hundred or so standing figures, but few seated.

I just checked out my local sources and it would seem you are right.  Such a shame.  Just as well I have stocked up over the years.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 10, 2021, 04:01:54 PM
QuoteI had gone to Preiser's site to see what they made and many seem to be discontinued.  A search of various retailers sites also showed a lot of their bulk packs as being discontinued.  I have a  hundred or so standing figures, but few seated.

I just checked out my local sources and it would seem you are right.  Such a shame.  Just as well I have stocked up over the years.

Cheers, Mark.

I have noticed the same issue with Preiser figures.  Does anyone know if this is a temporary supply chain issue related to the COVID restrictions or is it a long term problem with Preiser?  Sorry, to high jack this build thread with but it is a related issue.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Erieman

Quote from: S&S RR on July 10, 2021, 07:25:58 PM
Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on July 10, 2021, 04:01:54 PM

Cheers, Mark.

I have noticed the same issue with Preiser figures.  Does anyone know if this is a temporary supply chain issue related to the COVID restrictions or is it a long term problem with Preiser?  Sorry, to high jack this build thread with but it is a related issue.

John,

I think the problem stems from a totally different factor. The bulk figures that you see on the market are from China and are real cheap, but not very good. I am willing to forecast that Preiser is being forced out of part of their figure business by the crap from China. Only a speculation on my part, but it seems to fit the typical mode of the Chinese businesses.

Frank / Erieman

postalkarl

Hey Jan:

The building and the interior look just great.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 10, 2021, 08:13:40 AM
Interiors (and the whole structure) look great.  Hope the little people fit in the chairs/booths without much "surgery".

Jeff
Actually they pretty much fit.  Just had one guy that needed a bit of posterior liposuction.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I have no problems with decent figures, as I have several hundred of Woodland Scenics figures alone.  What I found was that I needed seated people and found most of my bulk unpainted figures were all standing.  But then, I hadn't planned on doing visible interiors either. Hence my emergency purchase once I found decent sitting ones were not available from decent molders in bulk. 

I had bought some all sitting bunch and they came yesterday.  About the same quality as the others.  Although this group had some rather largish people.  Top center.  The bottom middle figures stand right at 6 foot tall.  The two left ones are from a maritime set on a sprue and the one on the right was given to me decades ago by a gentleman who passed them out as thy res3embled him quite a bit.

Anyway, I finished getting the tables and diners installed.  I noticed that I neglected the drug store and dug out and repainted some standing folks. 

Seems that now I need a couple of cash registers.  I printed out some cutlery sets on napkins.  We'll see how those work out.  I feel that I have fallen down a rabbit hole.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

swisstrain

Let me confirm you have fallen down a rabbit hole ...  That is what detailed interiors are.

However, your rabbit hole looks real good, and once you will have walls up and lighting, it will look real convincing that you have life in the building.

Very nicely done!

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

The interiors look like A lot of work. they came out beautifully.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Really like the interior add on your structure.
Great modeling !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Bob,

Most excellent, the hard work on the interiors was well worth the effort. Fantastic build.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Thanks all. I decided to add some silver ware and place mats.  The plates didn't really stand out, so I took some white paper, sprayed it with a gloss spray and then punched out some dinner plates.  I located my old Tandy leather punch and voila, small round disks.  And yes, I'll try to add some food tomorrow.

I think, I'm emerging from the rabbit hole.

I took this little detour as the large windows are going to make the adjoining wall (they are the corners of the diner) interior wall surface visible.  These have the adhesive on them and I need to figure out a decent way of getting them painted after I added the acetate.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

I'm sure you will figure it out. Anyway looks great so far.

Karl