The Better Late than Never railroad.

Started by trainmanmarsh, August 01, 2014, 11:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmanmarsh

Hello everyone.
I have once again begun on the fun and exciting task of building myself a new layout. As with my last few layouts it will be a show layout. I just really enjoy the fun of taking a layout to a show and seeing others enjoy it as much as I do. I am building this slightly differently from my last ones. I have decided to just build one town, the town of Seaview. The whole town will consist of 14 sections that build into a 13 by 24 foot area. I also will be building two staging loops to go to either end of the main line so I will have continuous running for the shows. Jus to be confusing, when looking at the track plans, north is down.
The Section that I am starting on is in the northern part of town by Grove Cove. This are will be featuring quite a lot of CCK kits. I know Groovey would prefer it be 100% CCK kits but I had to chat and mix in others. The track work on this section is very simple but the scenery is where I'll be having my fun. I have been rearranging buildings for a while and now have a few areas that I have got settled. I will show those in the next post.
Espen

ACL1504

Espen,

Well, you are off to a great start. Lots of great kits and space! Looking forward to the thread.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

trainmanmarsh

The first area.
The first section I started working on was the left front corner of the module. I had originally planned to have a gas station here for boats but I decided to move that when I got the Murchison's Landing kit for Jeff (BUY ONE*) I moved the gas station building over and fit in the Maritime Net and Twine kit.  I also moved the track back about an inch and added in Harbor Rd. I was originally going to make this a dirt road but it didn't look right so I upgraded it to a cobblestone street. I have spent hours now carving this one street and have about 9 inches of it finished.. The coloring took some experimenting but I final found a combination tat I liked. before carving I painted the entire road Pollyscale concrete. after carving, I then went over the entire thing with Hunterline Light gray stain followed by their dark brown stain. I still need to work on the area some more to get a few more fun details added but they can wait for now.
Espen

trainmanmarsh

I needed a break from carving so I installed the north tower and mow shed then moved down to the other end of the module. I have really enjoyed working on this part. I originally didn't plan on having as many buildings in the area but it didn't look right. I added the small red shack, the small gas shack and the blacksmith shop. I still need to decide what the red shack is for. I also need to finish up the large red building. I am looking forward to detailing and finishing up this area. Now some of you may have noticed the three men standing at Marsh's Minnows and Bait in other pictures as well. They are the three old codgers. They travel around Seaview complaining about the state of things an so on. They even started a Facebook page to share their adventure. www.facebook.com/3oldcodgers You can follow them along through their shenanigans and just plain old grumping. Well time to get back to work on this thing. It won't finish itself.
Espen

BandOGuy

Trainman,
In one of the pics, it looks like you're using cork sub-roadbed directly on foam insulation. Would you please explain how you arrived at that configuration (sorry, 'Gnat, couldn't think of any other word)? Cat's coming out of the bag. I've got basic framework ready to go for a module I'll need to move later on. Debating cork versus Homasote roadbed for hand laid track.
Thanks for your comments in advance.
Chip Stevens
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

gnatshop

I can understand you startin' a huge conflagration!  ;D ;D ;D
The Ledbetters just sold a big pickin' of squash and bought one of them 'puters so they
can look this chit up!!!  8) 8) 8)

P.S.  Espen, I ain't lettin' you by that easy, either!
Your link for 3oldcodgers on BookFace didn't work, and I was lookin' forward to readin'
about me and my buddies!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jlgrove

Quote from: BandOGuy on August 01, 2014, 06:24:54 PM
Trainman,
In one of the pics, it looks like you're using cork sub-roadbed directly on foam insulation. Would you please explain how you arrived at that configuration (sorry, 'Gnat, couldn't think of any other word)? Cat's coming out of the bag. I've got basic framework ready to go for a module I'll need to move later on. Debating cork versus Homasote roadbed for hand laid track.
Thanks for your comments in advance.
Chip Stevens

Chip, I'm sure 'ole Espenezra will give you his technique, but here's how I adhere my cork to foam....

-  I have an old 1-1/2" putty knife that I put small notches on the end.....
   -  using the cheapest silicone caulk (I will normally use clear, but that's not critical)....I lay out a small bead where the cork/track is to run, and then, using the putty knife, just spread out the caulk.....
   -  you have some time to adjust your curves, switches etc.....
   -  then add some weights or push pins until dry....
   -  if you ever need to remove the cork/track, just spray some alcohol (not the kind you drink gnatman)....along the edges of the cork/track.....leave it soak a bit, and then remove it with a putty knife....

..this technique works fine too if you are just putting track down on the foam directly....I do it alot in my diorama's for the branchline, logging, canal stuff, where they normally wouldn't be building up the track bed.....

And, by the way Espen, this is a neat little undertaking, I love how you've cluttered the areas with lots of buildings and stuff....and the old codgers is a nice touch.....I'll keep buildings coming your way!!!

trainmanmarsh

Good morning.
Chip. I chose the cork simply because that is what I have been used to working with. That and I have two cases of it left over from my last layout. When I first started building layouts on foam I didn't use the cork. I think the main reason I started using it was to save on some of the carving it took to get the right profile for the mainline. Many of the sidings will be laid directly on the Styrofoam. I simply glue it own with plain old Elmer's white glue. I buy tons of it every year at target during the back to school season. Its usually about 15 cents a bottle By the track is ballasted the track isn't going anywhere easily. Even without ballast I haven't had track fall off of a module yet going to shows bouncing around in a trailer.

Gnat. I'm not sure why the link won't work as that is the address according to Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/3oldcodgers I copied and pasted this link right from the page so hopefully it works. If for some reason it doesn't work you should be able to find it with no difficulty by searching 3oldcodgers on Facebook.

Bob and Tom. Thanks for checking it out. I hope to have something to show in the next couple of days. I try to get a couple of hours in every day.

Jeff. Great, Now you've made me sound like some Spanish lady who goes around seducing people. It wouldn't be so bad if I could still remember all the Spanish I learned in school. I'll just have to let you make it up to me with more buildings. Since I reorganized and made the last section I now have room for more. Oh yes and since its Friday, I'll toss in your end of the work week reminder. Send the program!
Espen Mash

trainmanmarsh

Hello again

Well I have been getting some work done on the layout. I got all of the track down and part of it painted. I also did some ballasting. I then turned my attention back to the road and got it to look rather good. I still need to add the lines. I still have quite a bit of road to finish but at least i know how to get the look I want. Finally though, I spent some time playing around and came up with a fun picture of BLN #2801 with train 14 heading north Out of Seaview. It feels great to finally have a layout that I can get pictures like this on again. I almost want to stay up all night and get even more done. Unfortunately my back has reached its limit for hunching over while playing so i better go to bed so I can be able to move tomorrow. Till next time.

Espen L. Marsh

GPdemayo

Great progress Espen.....thanks for sharing your journey with us!  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

clevermod01

Lots of great work here. i will  be following.
Thom at Clever models llc

trainmanmarsh

Time for another update.

Things have been progressing here in the small town of Seaview. First I have finished up the main road through the grade crossing. The crossing itself was an interesting project. it is made entirely from individual wood ties cut to fit.

I also have been working on the waterfront quite a lot. I have it all figured out even though there were a few small hiccups along the way. I had the buildings all laid out and i thought it was looking rather good.

Of course no sooner than I'm happy with the way things are than Mr Grove had to release Harsh's Meat Market. I liked the building and it fit so well on my street that i had to move Workmans's (sorry Gant). So I played around and came up with a new idea of moving Workmans down to a stone pier below Harsh's. Looks great i thought again.

Well i went ahead and started carving up the foam. One i was done I realized that Workman's wouldn't quite fit. It was about 1/2 an inch too long and blocked the driveway coming down from the street. After some thinking and asking The Intelligent Mr Groovey for some ideas on a building. I Came up with the plan tomake an extension off of the back of Harsh's and make it a fish market with their own fleet of boats. I'm now just awaiting the new wall sections from The master of the laser cut kits.
Now here is where things get slightly wierd. I took a break from working on the module and doubled the size of the layout. Ok i set up a second module. The Little people of Seaview were so excited that they had a big party that was even attended by the Pope and Queen Elizabeth. Its not very often your world doubles in size.
Once all the festivities had died down I got busy working on all the stone work for the Fish company pier and the middle inlet. It must have been while I was working on this that one of the Ledbetters snuck in and made his home on the layout. It seems one Eustis Ledbetter made his home on the fish company pier. I guess he got a job gutting fish or maybe he's a ship captain, who knows. the company has rather low standards so I'm sure he will fit in.
Well that's it for this time. I'll try to keep the updates coming more often. Before I stop this though i just have to share one more picture that I don't think needs any explanation.

Espen L. Marsh

Follow along with The Three Old Codgers at http://www.facebook.com/3oldcodgers

trainmanmarsh

Wow, its been quite a while since I put any updates on here. I better fix that right now.

Hello again.

Work on The Better Late than Never railroad has continued even if I'm bad at putting up posts about it. To start off here is an overview of the layout so far.

There has been quite a bit done since I last posted. I'll start at the point closest to the camera and work my way along showing what has been done. First up is the beach. This is also the location of the 3 mile lighthouse. I still have more work to do on the area but it is on hold while I finish up the road that passes behind it and under the tracks.

Up next are the Cooperage, which is the brownish building and a yet unnamed business. these too are not fully done because of the ongoing roadwork.
Following that is the town boat ramp, Marsh's Minnows and Bait, the blacksmith, the lobster company, and a couple other buildings. This area is home to the lobster boat Sir Roses of the River which it seems has left the dock yet again without its captain.

Now passing by the end of the lobster company wharf is the first ever sailboat I have made. I had fun building it and have plans fro a couple more elsewhere on the layout.

now of course i have to show you the other much smaller sailboat I made for the three old codgers.

After the lobster company we come to the boat rental company and  Candy's Vegan Emporium. We can also see the Smyth Family out for a cruise in their motorboat.

This Brings us to the last waterfront company, the Workman Fish Market. This is also home to Captain John J Smith, who is constantly sinking his boat because he just isn't that bright. His mother has stopped by to try and cheer him up after his last sinking.

Well that is it for now. I am going to try to get better at making more updates and showing the progress on the layout, how ever little it may be. and as always you can see more of what is going on in Seaview by following along with the Three Old Codgers on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/3oldcodgers

Till next time.
Espen L. Marsh

cuse

Great stuff! You can never have too much waterfront.

John