Bleat - a 009 exhibition layout

Started by madharry, January 20, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Bleat is a small village somewhere in Wales. The community, served by the narrow-gauge railway, is very rural and populated with more sheep than people. Most of the structures are kits by Scalescenes, Petite Properties or Scale Model Scenery. All the locos are DCC sound-equipped, you might glimpse a peddling cyclist near the local church and the pecking chickens in the farmyard.

madharry

009 is the British version of HON3. It uses 00 scale buildings alongside narrow gauge track with a similar track width to n-scale.

I am using Bachmann Double Fairlies and Kato/Peco Small Englands which operate in North Wales on the Festiniog railway. These are all DCC sound-equipped. Coaches and wagons are either by Peco or Bachmann.

The new layout is due at it's first exhibition in 8 weeks time. It comprises of three boards 2 by 4ft and 1 by 3ft - just 15 inches wide. This allows the layout to be conveyed in one car. All track is 009 by Peco which has been laid, wired and ballasted.

The layout will feature a Magnorail peddling cyclist and some Viessmann pecking chickens. I also hope to incorporate Inter-action's Moonshiner's Cabin. Whilst this is not strictly 00 scale I am sure the rocking chair is sure to intrigue.

GPdemayo

Great scene and loco Mike.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

Holland & Odessa Railroad

madharry

Thanks Greg and Jim. Hopefully I will get a little more done today.

Mike

madharry

Still working on the new layout. I commissioned a new backscene of the local Quantock Hills which I think will work well with the presentation.

Mike

madharry

Here is another view.

Mike

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ReadingBob

Very nice Mike!  That backdrop is really nice.  It will really compliment the pike.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Looks great Mike, neat church.....I'll be looking in.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Mike, 
Beautiful Work. How large are these modules? Looks like fun. I recent found an engine in the back of one of my storage drawers that I could possibly build a small module. You ask, what is the size of the engine. It is an HOe 0-6-0. And it is small at 2 1/2" long. The engine was made by Roco. I cannot tell you when I bought it or even why I bought it. Might just build something for it ( in my spare time) .

Frank / Erieman

madharry

Thanks Dave, Bob and Greg for looking in. The church is a Petite Properties kit.

Frank the layout will be 11 ft long by 15 inches wide. It is made up of three boards joined with cabinet makers dowels. I am hoping to attach the new backscene permanently over the next few days. Then I can start placing structures, complete the scenery and add the sheep. I have actually flocked the sheep to make them wooly.

I have the little loco from Roco as well for possibly an Austrian layout one day. HOe uses the same track as 00-9. Peco market their track as suitable for both.

Mike

madharry

The backscene has been applied. I am happy that the far corners of the layout are rounded for a nicer presentation.

Here are a few pictures of the farmyard, the church and the townscape taking shape.

Mike

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Mike.

Some cute locos there.  I would love to see a close up of some of these flocked sheep!  A flock of sheep - brings on a whole new meaning...

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on February 12, 2024, 02:20:29 PMLooking good, Mike.

Some cute locos there.  I would love to see a close up of some of these flocked sheep!  A flock of sheep - brings on a whole new meaning...

Cheers, Mark.
As G. F. Handel once sang, "All we like sheep!"  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to