DD Luci's Tattoo

Started by Zephyrus52246, February 03, 2024, 04:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Jeff.

I have three of those front walls which I bought as part of a big box of boneyard castings.  Its handy to know what kit they come from.

Cheers, Mark.

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Bob.   You need to do a build thread on one.   :D

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Hi, Curt.  I used "Frog Tape".  it's like the blue tape, only green.  It's what I had on hand, though it did a good job and I may use it again when the blue tape runs out.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Glad I could help you identify them, Mark. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

There's a styrene roof piece included, which doesn't quite fit.  I cut and sanded two wood braces to measure the  of the front and back opening.  It's not quite rectangular.  So I placed them on the sheet and cut the sheet (shown in the picture) about 1 mm shorter on the edge than the wood was. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Glued the pieces in just a little over 1/4 inch down from the top and back and placed the roof piece on.  Fits well.  I'll brace the styrene lengthwise on the edges and in the middle, though I doubt it will sag much.   It's resting on a washcloth as my work surface is glass and I don't want to chip the hydrocal when moving the building around.  When I painted it, I lay it on the cloth on it's side, paint two sides, wait for them to dry, and then paint the other two.  No wonder I'm so slow building stuff. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I should have used the tape on top of the blue lower front, as this pic shows some of the terra cotta got on it.  There will be a lot of touch up on this and around the windows.  ::)  I tilt the building up as the lighting in here is very uneven.  

Jeff

deemery

I bought a package of 80lb heavy paper/cardstock at the local office store.  I often use that stuff to cut and test-fit oddly shaped roof pieces, etc.  Once I get the cheap paper template correct, I use that to draw and cut the styrene.  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

That is a sound strategy, Dave.  I think after my last tar and gravel roof had lifting/warping issues I'm going to use styrene on these types of roofs in the future.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

In the interim 11 days, I've been touching up the paint.  And then touching up again and again.  Finally finished with that. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

After my problem with the sign on my last build.  I wasn't going to sand the sign thin for this one.  I got some decal paper, went through my collection of signs, found some I liked and resized them to fit. I experimented with the first one as I wasn't sure this would work.  It went OK.  Yes, I see I built the fire escape with the hole on the wrong side.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I added the other two signs.  Lightly drybrushed them with an off white and then with the brick color.  Sealed with Tamiya flat and now it's time to weather stain the exterior. 

Jeff

ReadingBob

Those signs look really great, Jeff.

One of them looks very familiar.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Bob.  I think I have that Gold Medal sign somewhere as well.

Jeff

Jerry

Nice job on the touch ups Jeff.  The signs look great.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln