Nothing to see here..just some background buildings...

Started by Rollin, March 10, 2024, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollin

Well, I've had some vacant real estate on the layout for some time. Been playing with possibilities and letting ideas simmer, so it's time to move forward. I bought a Walther's kit, Reliable warehouse and storage.

After testing my plan with a cardstock mockup, I split the model in two, using the front and back to create two buildings:

Rollin

As you can see, I just did a basic paint job on these brick surfaces, with a wash to age the surface and bring out the details. I'm going to give you a Cliff Notes version of this build thread, because there are some of the folks on here who do such a marvelous job of the play by play details of their projects. You can see some of how I reinforced these structures:

I spray painted the interior of the wall with rattle can black. I have no plans to light these, but it makes the walls less translucent. There is a base plate for the structure, but it is just the outline of the walls. After I cut it in half, to make it more sturdy, I glued it to a piece of 1/8" craft plywood. After the walls were fastened I added a scrap of 1/2" plywood cut to fit inside the walls. This give the assembly more weight down low.

jerryrbeach

I like the finish you achieved on both buildings.  The front and rear of the structure are different enough I would not have realized they were from the same kit.  Adding the plywood to add some weight and stability is a good idea (and one I may borrow). 
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Nice job on the brick painting. As someone mentioned there is enough difference in the 2 sides to allow you to get 2 buildings out of the kit.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Nice weathering on the background structures.  

Jeff

Rollin

As you saw in the picture above, the 'back' side of the warehouse has a loading dock. It needs to fit up against the rail siding, so the roof must be wider. I added a piece of styrene to the half of the roof, thus:

I had a scrap piece of heavy paper with an embossed texture, so that will serve for roofing

Some shortcuts save time and are "good enuf" for now.

Vietnam Seabee

Rollin

The rest of the background is provided by a FOS kit that includes three structures

I wanted this to be a little taller, so I made an exposed foundation, after all this is the back of the building. I used some printed texture of a block wall, and made a bulkhead (cellar door) out of pieces from the scrap box.

Rollin

I appreciate that folks are checking out this thread and thanks for the comments. I've been sort of teasing about this being just background buildings, because they are the background for a new neighborhood. Here's a sneak peak at the larger area:

deemery

I really like that mocked-up town, both the mock-ups, and the result.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Rollin

It's going to be a real nice neighborhood, and there are several reasons why it HAD to start out as mockups. The neighborhood has a name, given to it by the designers.

FOS called it Axle Road. It was the limited edition kit for 2022.

Rollin

My wife gave me this kit for Christmas in 2022, when we were in the middle of our move, having sold our home in Florida and moved to Ohio. At that point in time, we were still house hunting for a new place. The modules that survived from my shelf layout in the garage were packed in a POD.

When we finally found a house, and moved in, slowly I started planning what to do in my basement. I have always liked the process of mocking up a new kit, and it's very easy to do. Just lay the walls on your scanner, hit COPY, and glue the pages to some cardboard. Cut out the pieces, hold them together with tape, maybe use some scrap wood for a base.

Now start playing with the 'dollhouses', see how they can be arranged, all while the valuable kit parts themselves stay safely packed away.

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Rollin.

You should have fun with that 2022 kit.  Will be good to see it made up.  I use the same process when kitbashing, except I print off 3 copies of each wall and then take to them with scissors.  You can cut and sellotape together to your hearts content and the walls remain brand new until you are happy with your design and you have a clear plan of attack.

Cheers, Mark.

Zephyrus52246

Looks pretty good so far.  After I finally get my first town done, there's another to be built.  I think doing the mockups is a great idea, instead of moving the finished structures again and again.

Jeff